Gastric sleeve in Ontario, will Ohip say no.

Karen M.
on 10/27/14 12:51 am - Mississauga, Canada

Ahhh... yes, I know Smartshape Weight Loss Centre has started doing VSG with the cost being $18.5K I believe. If you haven't gone through the Bariatric Registry to the point that you are able to discuss with the surgeon your desire to have VSG vs. RNY, I would. But that is me.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

PaulaToronto
on 5/1/15 8:34 pm - Toronto, Canada

I have to agree with Karen.  Unless you have an extra 18 grand hanging around go through the Ontario Bariatric program and fight for a VSG. I did and many others I am aware of have fought for and gotten sleeves covered by OHIP. Certain doctors are more inclined to look more closely to see if you fit criteria.  I had done tons of research, had a paper prepared outlining why I should get a VSG versus RNY and came very prepared to meet with the surgeon.  I would only meet with a surgeon that I know supported VSG.  I had to wait a bit longer but it was worth it. There are many reasons why a doctor might agree to do a VSG and don't let others say that is not true because I am living proof.  Good luck.

Highest W 312   Referral W 252   Surgery W 237   CW 156  Height 5'6"            

Mh020213
on 1/8/17 11:45 am

Hi Paula 

just wondering what some of your arguing points were to convince your Dr to let you go the VGS route? 

TIA :)

Most Active