Appointment with surgeon tomorrow

mysha
on 10/15/14 12:44 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

Please tell me I'm not crazy...I am hoping for surgery in the New Year...due to several concerns...travel home for the holidays and lack of coverage at work, the person to work in my place is unable to do so.   Do you think I'll be penalized for this?  I certainly don't want to risk my spot but I had thought all along that it would have been next year and psyched myself up for that.  At the time I got the call to book I did explain to the receptionist my game plan and she basically stated that the surgeons want to do surgery now, not next year and that things could change with my health.  I had been reassured by other members of the bariatric team that it should'nt be a problem to get the time I want.

I plan to be forthright, but understandably tentative in my approach...any words of wisdom?

(deactivated member)
on 10/15/14 1:22 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I don't think you should have a problem... At all. At my surgeon appointment, they took out a calendar, and advised of the first available date, and asked if I wanted it. I did.

However, the other lady who was at my centre at the same time as me, on the same date, for her surgeon appointment too, wanted her surgery date after Jan 15th, or something, which they provided her with no issue. 

I think you will be fine...I'm not sure why it would even be a concern. Good luck. 

mysha
on 10/15/14 1:30 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

Thank you Jennifer for the words of encouragement.  It is certainly not lost on me that people would jump at the chance to be in my shoes.  If they have no obstacles to do so go for it.

msmuggins
on 10/15/14 10:18 pm, edited 10/15/14 10:19 pm - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Hi Mysha,

I had no issues when I asked for a date in January (my healthcare insurance changes for the better on Jan 1).  Their only problem was figuring out the schedule that far forward.  I was allowed to pick my date since I was the first to be scheduled in January, so I chose Jan. 5th.   Of course, this is at TWH, the policies and procedures may be different at other centres.  Good luck with your appointment!

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

Pegasus_AM
on 10/16/14 2:38 am

I can't see it being a problem there are many other people waiting to have the surgery, it's not like the surgeon is going to be sitting and twiddling this thumbs still your surgery date. I'm sure just because you want to wait till after the New Year it will not affect there decision to continue helping you. I think that comment made by the receptionist was a little short sighted. Yes I'm sure most people pick the first date available but that is not convenient for everybody and I'm sure they understand that. Chin up I'm sure it will be fine :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Most Active