Really starting to get Nervous

(deactivated member)
on 10/16/14 6:41 pm, edited 10/16/14 7:08 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Super excited, but now, being only three days away from surgery, I am definitely feeling scared, a bit more emotional than usual. Really just hoping it all goes smoothly...

This is my first ever surgery, maybe that makes for more nerves. I really have ZERO idea on what to expect after, and how I will be feeling. I have spent the last year researching this, and being as I suffer from bouts of insomnia (like right now) I swear I have read the entire internet. Still everyones recovery and experience is individual...

Hope it all works out the way I envision! 

Jiliana2
on 10/16/14 10:05 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Nerves are bound to come into play around about now, and that's quite normal. Being that this is your first surgery as well, that will lend more weight to your concerns.

All I can say is hang in there! You are soooo close now and while the nerves might try to get the better of you, the very best thing to do is to continue to do the Opti as prescribed, follow surgeon's orders, make sure your bag is packed with the items you'll need/want, and just keep putting one foot in front of the other.

You'll get there; I PROMISE! Sending you best wishes as you prepare for such an exciting day!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/14 7:53 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks Jiliana! My bag has been packed for a week! haha Trying to be prepared. And I am stocked for my return home, with everything they said I can eat up to the pureed stage! I've also tossed / donated any food I no longer want within my home. And being as I live alone, I can do that! Everything here is WLS appropriate. So I do feel ready in that sense, I am just nervous for complications, and the unknown of how my body may hold up, react to majour surgery... Only time will tell. Thanks for the wishes!

Catw
on 10/16/14 10:06 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Everyone feels the same way as you do, nervous and scared.  You are about to change everything you "know" and not sure what the outcome is, so it's normal to be scared about that.  But be assured, that you have the support and knowledge from those who have gone before you through this journey.  As you said, each person is different, each heal at different rates.

Try to get some rest in the next couple days, I know it's like a child going to Disney World, but try to sleep.  You'll do fine in sugery, you can't mess it up, you're asleep ;o)  Trust the staff at the hospital, and you'll be on the bench in no time!

Cathy

Karen M.
on 10/16/14 11:11 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Cathy, I LOVE that line - "You'll do fine in surgery, you can't mess it up, you're asleep"!! SO TRUE. We have to learn to stop worrying about the things we cannot control.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/14 8:00 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I can't sleep at all!  My mind is going crazy! I am sure i will catch up on those zzz's after surgery. Thanks for the kind words! xo

nbeatty
on 10/17/14 12:20 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

It's completely normal to be scared and nervous; you wouldn't be human otherwise! You are right everyone's recovery is different.  I've had multiple other surgeries, but despite all the work they do inside you, because it's laproscopic, I believe you don't have a lot of pain afterward.  The pain most people seem to describe is gas pain.  I was fortunate not to have much of either.  I had other complications, but each story is individual.  You will soon be on the other side of surgery.  I had surgery Oct 3 and I'm feeling fine now and able to do most things.

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/14 2:35 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hi nbeatty!

Thanks for insight! And congrats on your success so far. I hope to be feeling fine very soon after surgery, all I can do is stay positive that it will all be good :D

jaxie77
on 10/17/14 1:20 am, edited 10/17/14 1:20 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey Jennifer , 

Just wanted to send you some good positive vibes !! This weeked will fly by and before you know it you'll be at home on the couch all cozy and in the healing stages , and then you can focus on the new you !! 

Enjoy your weekend and try and get some sleep !!! Lol ....

Chin up chicky , all will be fine 

Jax x

(deactivated member)
on 10/17/14 2:40 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thanks Jaxie! I am looking forward to getting cozy on the couch with my dog and having a TV marathon, and enjoying my time off. I have already emailed my boss and advised I will NOT be answering email or my phone, turned off the cell already, and put it away! All work gadgets are now out of sight' and hopefully out of mind for my entire time off. This recovery will be all about ME. 

Thanks lady for the well wishes, as always! 

Most Active