Help In Desperate Need of Plastics Advice

Mochalocks12
on 10/14/14 10:13 am - Canada

Hi everyone,

I am seeking out any advice about plastic surgery. I live in Northern Ontario and was referred to a PS here for a panni removal and breast reduction. I heard back from the PS today and they feel I more than likely would have no problem being covered for the reduction but will not even submit the panni. They will only do a full TT. I am looking for anyone who was had a panni removal, and even with the option to upgrade. I need to go back to my family doctor and ask for another referral out of my area. I heard good things about Dr. N near Toronto, are there any others that deal with a lot of WLS patients? I would love some advice so I can ask for a new referral. I would also love to hear from people who have had just the panni done and are HAPPY with their results. I have A LOT of access skin below and above the navel.

Thanks so much.

N

Referral July 30, 2013..VSG BY Dr. Lloyd Smith Aug 12, 2013.  Pre OPTI weight: 350. Sw331 CW190

jessiak
on 10/14/14 11:05 am - Thunder Bay, Canada

Not a whole lot of useful advice here, but I'm from Thunder Bay, and have heard nothing but terrible things about our PS's. If I had the option, I'd definitely opt for Toronto. Best of luck!!

Referral sent : July 29, 2014 |  Orientation : Oct 17, 2014  |  Blood work & ECG : Oct 20, 2014  |  Medical Intake : Oct 23, 2014  | Ultrasound Appt : Nov 3, 2014 | Dietician : Nov 5th, 2014  |   Psychologist : Nov 6, 2014  | Opti : Jan 15th |  Surgery : Jan 28th

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/14/14 11:09 am, edited 10/14/14 12:32 pm - Windsor, Canada

If you have a lot of excess skin Above the belly button you will want the full tt.  A panni wouldn't be a solution.  

I just had a fleur de lys tummy tuck with dr  matic in London.  The panni portion was covered and it was $4080 out or pocket.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Mochalocks12
on 10/14/14 11:10 am - Canada

Are you happy with your results?

Referral July 30, 2013..VSG BY Dr. Lloyd Smith Aug 12, 2013.  Pre OPTI weight: 350. Sw331 CW190

Diminishing Dawn
on 10/14/14 12:35 pm - Windsor, Canada

Well I'm still not in touch with my results as I'm still healing, not yet very erect and cannot see the "full picture" yet. 

I have a vertical incision. (fleur de lis) to get most excess skin around belly button and above.  The incision is gorgeous, beautifully sewn and should heal really well.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Needanewbeginning
on 10/14/14 2:22 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

It's really a shame you don't have access to more Dr's who will do plastics for you there. I am in Barrie and was open to going to Toronto for my plastics. After a lot of research I decided on Dr Tumi here in Barrie. I did have several consults in Toronto, but not one with Dr, Nandagopol. I have heard good things about him though, he is just a little long with his timeframes as well as a little far for me. He does process pannis through OHIP and does do upgrades to full tummy tucks from what I found out. Apparently, he has a good approval success rate. 

Honestly, from my experience, I had no issue getting approval. I had my first one back at 5 weeks but when I changed surgeons I needed to get the approval done again so it took twice as long, ugh! I finally got it though. It's simply because my panni measures 13 cm. Pannis are normally approved if they measure 5 or more cm's. I have heard a number of people not getting approval for their pannis and I guess the only option is to fight with an appeal, which may get your approval. 

You really need to have documented issues, skin breakdown, rashes, boils. I can't imagine any of us wls patients not having issues. So truly why it gets denied I will never understand. 

My procedure will be done November 21st. I am having the panni removal, full tummy tuck with lipo on my flanks and mons repair. Total cost is $5325.00. The surgeon gets $5000 and the hospital gets the $325 because its a service charge they add on for these type of surgeries as they are voluntary procedures.

Annette 👍

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

redviking
on 10/15/14 5:40 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Do you know if OHIP paid the doctor anything for the panni?  Just curious.  5K seems like a totally reasonable amount for what you had done.  I'm going to start saving now!

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

Needanewbeginning
on 10/15/14 12:33 pm - Barrie, Canada
RNY on 05/21/13

Yes, OHIP does pay the surgeon for the panni portion. If OHIP didn't approve the panni I would have to pay $6800.00 for the panni, tummy tuck, mons repair and lipo. So, big difference right!  I gave been quoted $12.998.00 for the same procedures with another Dr, and as low as $4800.00 but that's without lipo.

Starting weight: 334 lbs.Starting opti weight: 323 lbs, Surgery weight 303 lbs.Surgery-May 21st, 2013 with Dr Hagen at HRRH Goal weight 165 lbs reached at 13 months. Current weight 156 lbs

LittleMiss2013
on 10/16/14 11:12 am - Canada
RNY on 10/22/13

I had a consult with Dr.Nan and was told the waiting list is 2 years, lol

Opti October 1. PATTS October 8th and RNY Surgery October 22, 2013

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Mary A.
on 10/20/14 5:14 am

I live in Thunder Bay, and had a lovely surgeon do my pannilectomy last month.  My surgeon was Dr. Sarah Wong in Scarborough and she is amazing.  She deals a lot with breast reconstruction for breast cancer , but she is an amazing surgeon.  I opted for just the pannilectomy ast the full TT was quoted at $6,000.00 and while that is not a large amount compared to some..I couldn't justify it...and during these past 6 weeks I am glad I only had the panni.

I found your post kind of disheartening the surgeons office shouldn't make the decision/assumption on what may or may not be covered, because even if OHP denies your request you always have the option to Appeal to the Ministry of Health and Long Term care...and that's what I did they denied my initial request in Sept 2011 by one word (borderline)..so I appealed...and almost a year later they granted me the procedure.

If I can help in any other way just private message me as I don't always read all the threads once I have responded.

prior to surgery 323lbs....4 years post-op maintaining between 108- 114 lb loss. 

life is AMAZING when you continue on the right path~!.  Use your surgeons gift to the fullest~!

Mary
surgery done in Duluth, MN

Most Active