home again for the 2nd time

sue2311
on 10/13/14 9:19 am - Canada

Just thought I would share my story. I had a VSG on Sep 24 at HRRH. I had the sleeve because I have crohns disease. The surgery went great. But I had a lot more pain than I expected and I had a nurse that would only give me the smallest dose of pain meds and made me wait 2x as long for the next dose. It was a viscious circle. I needed to walk but I was in so much pain I couldn't. Then when I did get it I was so  exhausted I slept. Then it started all over. When the next nurse came on that night He gave me 2 pills instead of 1 and I asked him why. He told me the Drs order was 5-10 mg every 2 hours if needed. so she gave me 5 mg and made me wait 4 hrs so I couldn't keep on top of the pain.  Boy was I mad!

Then a week later I caught a cold and it went straight to my lungs. I ended up in emerg  had 2 mask treatments and was put on prednisone for 5 days. I was coughing so hard I pulled muscles around my incisiions. Then a week after that I started feeling sick to my stomach, and was throwing up for 2 days. By that time my fever spiked to 39.9 so on to emerg I went. I live in Owen Sound so I just went here. The Dr. called the on call Doc at HRRH. They wanted me sent to them. So I got my first ambulance ride in the middle of the night. I had x-rays and CT scans done on both my chest and abdomen and also started IV antibiotics. I am glad to say it was probably just the flu. But they did have to react just in case it was infection.

Glad to say I am home now and feeling great. so hopefully I can get my strength up now and get swimming this week. What doesn't make sense is that I drank and drank water ate very little, was on clear fluids in case I needed surgery, back to full fluids yesterday and some how I gained 6 pounds. WTF !!!!! Hopefully that will go quickly. Guess my body is complaining.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/14 9:29 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Yikes! I was told by the nurse that if I felt any paint whatsoever, and needed more meds to just ask, and they would up my dosage. I hope I don't run into these issues. This will be my first ever surgery, and so I am extra worried about recovery and how much pain may be involved, because i have no idea what to expect, other than what people have told me, which seems to be very individual form one person to the next. 

Sorry to hear you had issues, but great to feel you are now home and feeling better! I wouldn't pay much attention to the 6 lbs, that'll be gone before you know it. 

Sending well wishes your way!

Nanato2
on 10/13/14 9:54 am, edited 10/13/14 10:32 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Glad you are home and doing better. I also had a VSG because I have crohns disease. The 6 pounds weight gain is probably swelling and excess fluids.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

Franny1977
on 10/13/14 10:33 am - Canada

Glad to here that you are home and feeling better

Most Active