on 10/17/14 3:11 am - Brampton, Canada
On October 15, 2014 at 5:06 AM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

Every single word that Barb said above ^^

Welcome back.

Karen :)

Hey Karen!!!

Nice to see you back too lol

And thank you. Always great to see your smiling mug! HOpe all is well for you

Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.  

Karen M.
on 10/17/14 3:18 am - Mississauga, Canada

I am well, thanks! Full steam ahead with life.

I hope you'll come back again soon and let us give you some support - it really does help.

K. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

mermaidz
on 10/17/14 3:51 am - Brampton, Canada
On October 17, 2014 at 10:18 AM Pacific Time, Karen M. wrote:

I am well, thanks! Full steam ahead with life.

I hope you'll come back again soon and let us give you some support - it really does help.

K. :)

I'm very glad to hear that for you, Karen

I am here. It's hard, Karen. I'm proud, stubborn and uber sensitive about this.

I'm learning how to say I suffer from chronic major depression along with s.a.d. It impacts my life very deeply. Having any kind of mental health illness is still very much stigmatized by society in general. And me. If it was anyone else, I'd be all over supporting them but I'm a hypocrit that way. And that whole attitude? ain't serving me well.

Thank you for being here. 

Thank you to all of you who have responded. And to the lurkers who haven't yet worked up the courage to put it in print. One day :)

Karen M.
on 10/17/14 7:17 am - Mississauga, Canada

I get it. All of it. I'm here, contact me anytime at all.

K. xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Catw
on 10/14/14 11:01 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I also agree with everything that was said.  Go for the check up and get bloodwork done.  It will tell you what you need to increase in supplements.

I would suggest, start by taking a week and writing down everything that you eat, as is.  MyFitnessPal is great as it will count eveything for you as long as you put in the quantities accurately.

Then take a good look at your week's log.  From there, decide what all needs to change in your diet.  Do you need more of this, less of that.  Then take one of those goals and work on it.  Wether it's to increase protein or increase water which ever.  But chose only one goal at a time.  Work on it.  When you feel you've made that goal, put a star on the fridge and go for the next one.  Don't try to do everything at once, or you'll feel overwhelmed, do one little thing at a time, and you'll be able to keep it up better.

Also take a look at your exercise, are you doing enough?  If you aren't doing anything, try going for walks, it's cheap and easy.

One other thing I strongly suggest, start a diary. It is important to journal your food, but it's also important to journal your emotions.  If you stress eat, it will help you deal with the stress and help identify the triggers.  If you eat out of boredom, try going for a walk, or starting a hobby.

You can get back on the yellow brick road, it won't be easy, but you can do it, and we will be here to support you.

Cathy

mermaidz
on 10/17/14 3:32 am - Brampton, Canada
On October 15, 2014 at 6:01 AM Pacific Time, Catw wrote:

I also agree with everything that was said.  Go for the check up and get bloodwork done.  It will tell you what you need to increase in supplements.

I would suggest, start by taking a week and writing down everything that you eat, as is.  MyFitnessPal is great as it will count eveything for you as long as you put in the quantities accurately.

Then take a good look at your week's log.  From there, decide what all needs to change in your diet.  Do you need more of this, less of that.  Then take one of those goals and work on it.  Wether it's to increase protein or increase water which ever.  But chose only one goal at a time.  Work on it.  When you feel you've made that goal, put a star on the fridge and go for the next one.  Don't try to do everything at once, or you'll feel overwhelmed, do one little thing at a time, and you'll be able to keep it up better.

Also take a look at your exercise, are you doing enough?  If you aren't doing anything, try going for walks, it's cheap and easy.

One other thing I strongly suggest, start a diary. It is important to journal your food, but it's also important to journal your emotions.  If you stress eat, it will help you deal with the stress and help identify the triggers.  If you eat out of boredom, try going for a walk, or starting a hobby.

You can get back on the yellow brick road, it won't be easy, but you can do it, and we will be here to support you.

Cathy

Hi Cathy

Your response was excellent. Thank you. Again, that had to have taken time to write all of it out and I'm greatful for your time. And your compassion as well. It was like a hug. Thank you

My start date is going to be in a week's time because I'm going to follow your advice and track what I'm currently eating x 10 days (Oct 28)on the health tracker on here. I also have a colonoscopy this week so that's going to disrupt my usual eating habits. I know I don't drink enough water. I still drink my homemade protein shake every day but am I getting enough protein? No clue. I'll know ine a week's time (possibly 10 days)what needs to be tweaked or deleted.

I am going to return to the gym starting Saturday. I felt so much better on so many levels when I exercised regularly.

Diary. Hmmm. I do journal but for other reasons. And now you've caught my attention on this. I know there is a link between depression and food. Either too much or not enough. I'm certainly not the "not enough" .  The last year and a half has been....eventful. That's exactly how long I've been off the "Yellow Brick Road".  I'm seeing flickers of a "light bulb" coming on....definitely a correlation there. Thank you!

Would seem that everything is all interconnected.. .....................

Thank you, Cathy. Your support means a lot.

Catw
on 10/17/14 4:24 am - Arnprior, Canada

If you do decide to get MyFitnessPal, you don't have to wait for a Fitbit, there are apps for mobile devices as well as an internet site (http://www.myfitnesspal.com/).

You definitely have to know where you are at, in order to decide how to get to where you are going.

I can understand an "eventful" year and a half, I've had one too, with different reasons. 

Everything is interconnected, just remember sometimes it's better to take it slow than to jump in the deep end and drown.  And there is absolutely no shame in taking it slow.

If you ever need someone to talk to, pm me.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 10/15/14 2:34 am - Toronto, Canada

Yes, please go back for your appointment as well. You are getting back on track and you can tell them that! Your bloodwork is important! Sorry to hear about your lung :-(

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

mermaidz
on 10/17/14 3:35 am - Brampton, Canada
On October 15, 2014 at 9:34 AM Pacific Time, kellybelly333 wrote:

Yes, please go back for your appointment as well. You are getting back on track and you can tell them that! Your bloodwork is important! Sorry to hear about your lung :-(

Thanks KellyBelly. 

Yes I am getting back on that horse. With thoughtful planning.

I have to share something with you that I don't think I ever said. I was jealous of you. In a good way. I admired your ability to achieve your goals. And I wished I could run like you do but my body will not tolerate it.

Again thank you

kellybelly333
on 10/17/14 4:39 am - Toronto, Canada

Aww thanks!! I hated running when I started. It hurt,...a lot. Still does if I don't train properly. 

Not sure what part of your body won't tolerate it, but I can give you pointers and tips I have learned along the way if you're interested! It's not for everybody, for sure!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Most Active