still not loosing weight

Leanne1
on 10/12/14 6:45 am - Newmarket, Canada

I definitely agree with Karen!! 

I don't think you are getting enough protein. I was aiming for at least 70g of protein BUT most days I aimed for 100-120g of protein.

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Leanne1
on 10/12/14 6:55 am - Newmarket, Canada

I did this everyday for a year, (and longer) .. I was thru TWH and the team was very happy with my results

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

KerryF.
on 10/12/14 10:27 pm - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13
On October 12, 2014 at 1:45 PM Pacific Time, Leanne1 wrote:

I definitely agree with Karen!! 

I don't think you are getting enough protein. I was aiming for at least 70g of protein BUT most days I aimed for 100-120g of protein.

I'm also through TWH and  I get 100 + grams of protein a day as well and I'm a year post op on Tuesday. TWH Dietician specifically told me at the beginning to avoid Boost and other drinks like that as they aren't good choices for protein. But to make my own shakes or drink Premiere Protein.  I have learned to LOVE!! Premiere Protein. and the first 6 months hated hated hated them  choked them back because I needed the protein and they were better the devil I knew. I had the powders and the blender and recipe book for making protein shakes and tried multiple recipes which they were all disgusting. but over time I have developed an appreciation for the flavor from the premiere which developed into a love for the flavor. Currently have 6 cases on the shelf in my basement  good thing I like them now

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

Zizzler
on 10/11/14 12:16 am

I agree with what Karen is saying. Would recommend you re-read the eating and exercise guidelines your centre gave you to make sure you are on track.  If you have any concerns give them a call and explain what is going on, they will be the best people to advise you.  I have already done this half a dozen times to make sure I was on track.  Also if there are any support groups in your area that could be helpful.  I know it is so hard and I wish you all the best on your journey.

happypants
on 10/11/14 12:56 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Patrick!!

Congrats on your four week mark! Karen is correct on all counts so I don't have much more to add except to offer support and encouragement.

The one thing I can say is losing weight is simple math, calories in verses calories out plus drinking and getting enough protein at your stage :-). If you eat enough (at this stage its drinking enough protein) and by this I mean at least 5 meals a day...your brain will say "I'm getting enough food so I don't need to hoard calories" so your body will burn calories instead of saving thus you start to lose weight. 

If we can go back to the "simple math" comment I made earlier. If you burn 3,500 calories more than you take in you will lose one pound. The reason you are not losing is your body is hanging on, its in starvation mode because it isnt getting enough food.  To average one pound loss per week, you need to burn an additional 500 calories per day (500 x 7=3,500). The process can be sped-up by using more energy in any capacity. So walk walk walk walk...sip sip sip.

It is so important at your stage to get up and move. What I did is sip one sip of water then one sip of Premiere protein shakes (ready made from Costco) I would do this constantly to ensure I was getting all I needed to per day. I also kept a log of how many sips per day both of water and the protein shakes and I wouldn't go to bed until this was achieved. I made it my job to do what I had to do with zero exception. I also posted on the "what are you doing/What are you eating" thread each day, this made me accountable because it was posted in back and white. The nice thing also about that daily thread is it gives you an opportunity to see what other people are eating each day to achieve their individual goals.

All this to say you will see the pound just melt off once your protein levels increase. If I can add one final thing in closing. Your body just went through one hell of an operation. Your insides where rerouted for pete sake. Sometimes just the shock of surgery can slow things down not to mention the fact that you where on so really strong pain medications. I cant wait to read your post a month from now and see all your success. PLEASE stay away from Dr Bernstein, you will cause yourself more harm than good not to mention the fact that they will be taking your money for nothing. I agree with Karen on all fronts. Go back and re read all your Weight Loss Centers hand out information. If you decide to follow through with Dr Bernstein make sure you contact your WMC before hand and tell them your plans. Above all the staff at the Weight Management Clinic is always there to help you.

All the best!

Ann 

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Surgery July 22, 2011  Starting weight 270  128 lbs lost  Today's weight 142 lbs                 Ann       

(deactivated member)
on 10/11/14 6:17 am

Hi, I know its hard, but it will happen. Just follow your plan, I stalled at 2 weeks post op for 3.5 weeks. Your body just went through hell, let it get used to what has happened, do what you are supposed to do and it will happen.... good luck!

Nanato2
on 10/11/14 7:13 am, edited 10/11/14 7:14 am - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

Patrick

What surgery did you have and what bariatric centre are you through because at 4 week out you should be having food. Boost drinks are high in fat and carbs if you ned a protein drink you should make your own shake or drink premiere protein drink they have less fat and carbs than boost and double the protein, also what type of yogurt are you having are you having regular yogurt or greek yogurt because it makes a different jus****ch the sugar content because some yogurt are high in sugar. 

Stalls are normal process did you lose before surgery? 

If you just had surgery why would you go to Bernstien remember you need to follow the guidelines your centre gives you for your tool to work. I think you should call your centre and talk to the dietician because they will look at what you are eating and help you.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

nbeatty
on 10/12/14 12:18 am - Aurora, Canada
RNY on 10/03/14

Hi. I agree with the others, it would be helpful if you were eating differently.  I am 8 days post-op and haven't lost anything, but I'm not worried about it.  But PLEASE, PLEASE, do not go to Dr Bernstein.  He's only in it for the money and it is because of his program, that I'm sure I ended up having to have WLS.  

Orientation: Jan 27, 2014, Surgeon: Feb 14, 2014, Doctor Internal Medecine: May 5, 2014,  Nurse/Social Worker/Dietician: May 7, 2014, 2nd Visit Social Worker: June 20, 2014, 2nd visit Surgeon: July 11, 2014, PATT (HRRH): Sep 18, 2014 Surgery Date: Oct 3, 2014

Most Active