Dermatitis , Eczema and Obesity

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/14 4:18 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I've been told by my doctor, dermatologist, and google that Atopic dermatitis is indeed related to obesity. I have it, and it has become substantially worse when I have gained more weight. Its pretty stressful to watch something spread, and not be able to be controlled by medication. Of course, stress only worsens it...

Right now, I have it on my hands, elbows, feet, chest, buttocks, and worst of all, inner thighs. Its terrible. Its not overly noticeable, yet... just small tiny sporadic patches here and there  (except for the inner thigh, where moisture is inevitable) The inner thigh is the absolute worst, and its spreading so fast. The elbows, I just hide daily, the hands crack, bleed, and are super painful. The inner thighs are SOOOO itchy, its unbearable. I will say, I have had a biopsy, and it is atopic dermatitis. This time last year, it was only on my hands and elbows. Its pretty upsetting. Its also another factor, added to the obesity, that stops me from dating. 

Has anyone else suffered from skin conditions, such as atopic derm, that they did see clear post op? Really hopeful the weight loss will help. 

Nanato2
on 10/9/14 9:01 pm - Canada
VSG on 02/12/13

I have eczema but it is not related to obesity eczema is a auto-immune disease and I have had it since I was born. Your dermatitis will probably clear up as because once you loose weight you will not be sweating and having as much moisture.

Referral- March 2012, Letter April 19, Orientation TWH- June 6, NP - July 3, Sleep Apena test July 16, Internist and SW  - July 17, Nutritional class - July 23, Dietician appt. July 30th, Psych-Social appt - Aug 20th. Follow up with doctor sleep apena Aug. 28th  Surgeons appt. - Dec. 14th Dr. Jackson. Surgery date - Feb 12 2013 - VSG   

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 6:57 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Actually it is related to obesity. They can't exactly pinpoint what the connection is, but obesity increases the severity of the dermatitis. Based on what I have read, my doctor agrees. And I definitely notice it gets worse when I have gained weight. Could be stress related, who knows. I do not sweat heavily at all (hands, elbows etc) and it still doesn't clear. All I do really know is, I hate it! I really wish I could rid myself of it. Its so uncomfortable, frustrating, and embarrassing. 

Jiliana2
on 10/9/14 9:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I suffer from Psoriasis. Primarily I have problems on my fingers and my elbows, with some patches at my knees. My skin becomes red, inflamed, dry and cracks and bleeds in extreme cases.

My psoriasis is an autoimmune disorder. There is nothing that will cure it per se, but creams and ointments do ease the symptoms.

After my surgery in February of this year, I have noticed that I haven't had ONE single outbreak on my hands. Not one. My elbows and knees are much improved as well, but not completely clear. I will reserve final judgement though because winter months and cold temps seem to exacerbate the symptoms that I usually experience. My hands may yet see some psoriasis this coming winter. To be determined...

Hoping for you that your dermatitis is eased with your surgery as well. It's not fun to have to deal with these problems on top of obesity and all of its related comorbidities. I certainly can understand that. Many of us can relate I suspect.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 6:59 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

This is very positive news! Thank you! my doctor seems to think although there is no hardcore proof the two are related, he swears that they are, and that it will ease, once I lose weight.

Good luck to you come winter!!

4-Jane
on 10/9/14 10:11 pm - Canada

Mine did not get better, and I have only had it for the past five or six years, I have tried every thing and several prescriptions.  After surgery I began going to the pool and then noticed the palm of my hand was cracking open crazy painful so I went to dermatologist I've got a cream that helps but it's not gone and I'm not sure sweating is related as I'm not warm enough ever.  The harsh chemicals of the pool does not help it nor does bleach which I add to my dish water.  I've bought dish gloves but sometimes forget yikes the spot on the back not so bad but the hand is uhber sore. Good luck finding a cream that works for you, you may also want to explore allergy testing, or changing soaps and laundry products.

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 7:02 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Sorry you haven't found one that works for you yet! I haven't either... I swear all the prescribed cream does is ease the itch, temporarily and nothing else. I have changed soaps, and laundry products so much. I'd be fine managing with it in all areas, except inner thighs. Inner thigh is the worst...

redviking
on 10/10/14 1:33 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

Other than regular old dry skin, I never had any serious dermatological problems prior to surgery.  Strangely, right around the time I started Opti, I developed a patch of seborrheic dermatitis in my one eyebrow.  I figure it is one of the ways my body is reacting to the stress and hopefully it settles down eventually.  what weird machines we live in...

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 1:30 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Ugh my flare ups get so bad when I am stressed. Definitely weird machines!! 

Karen M.
on 10/10/14 3:42 am - Mississauga, Canada

Not sure what you're using on it but my son had terrible patches when he was a baby/young child. We were told to use Glaxl Base (I know, weird spelling). It is the only thing that worked and I still use it on myself when needed.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active