First appointment with nurse

eeyorelover
on 10/8/14 11:40 am - Canada

Hi I am a newbie! I had my first appointment with the nurse today and she has me a little worried now. I know there are a lot of complications that can happen after surgery, I have been researching for almost a year now. She really pushed about the bad stuff and now I am second guessing myself. So I guess my question's are would you all mind sharing some of the complications you have had and if you feel the surgery was worth having even with the complications? Thanks!

margarita_mrs
on 10/8/14 12:01 pm

Anyone who has gone through it, complications or not, has said that they don't regret it!  This is my second time through guelph because I freaked out the first time round and didn't go through with it.  Well, I'm back at it and doing it no matter what.

Referral sent- June/July 2014  Orientation GGH- Aug. 28/14  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist- Sept. 18/15  SW/Nurse/Nutritionist Part 2- Nov. 18/15  Pre-surgery education class- Feb. 9/15  Meet surgeon - Mar. 23/15  Surgery date- May 29, 2015  A great day to start a new chapter in my life!

Jiliana2
on 10/9/14 12:04 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

In my view, here's how to approach major surgery like this.

KNOW that complications are indeed quite possible. Have some idea of what they are. Have an idea of what might be done by your surgical team to resolve those complications when/if they occur. Understand that complications can happen years out from surgery. Be aware of your body and what you need to watch for. And don't be afraid to go to your surgeon or centre to get something checked. No matter how small or insignificant it may seem, you are better off checking than letting it go.

Know too that many of us go through this without any complications whatsoever. That is the majority of us.

Like me. Now I'm only 8 months post-op, but so far, I have had it really quite good. No strictures. No problem moving from one phase to another. No huge problems adapting to the new way of eating (I just have to remember to be diligent about it). So far, all is good. *knocks on wood*

Even those who have complications... after the complications are resolved, they too say they would do it again in a heartbeat. Admittedly, those suffering from major complications at the time they write might say something different, but give them a year or so and they would likely change their tune. That is what I see most frequently on these forums.

Welcome to the Ontario forum and congrats on taking a great step on this most amazing journey!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

msmuggins
on 10/9/14 4:01 am - Canada
RNY on 01/05/15

Thanks for this, Jiliana.  I think there are lots of us pre-ops out there that continue to have the concern about complications preying on our minds (I know I do).  It is always helpful to hear a balanced discussion about these risks from someone who has gone through the process.  I'm a bit of a worrywart, so again, thanks for this

~ Per aspera ad astra ☆彡 

blueeyes95
on 10/15/14 12:28 am - Toronto , Canada

Hi, I have my first appointment with the Nurse Practioner on Dec 17, Social worker Oct 17, at TWH. I am too a bit worried, But then I come on here and read all the outcomes good and bad, some or no complications I get that sense of inpowerment and i feel releaved that so many of you have done this and are so successful, I look at it this way too is that with every surgery there are complications.  I have been on this site since last year just reading and reading, I became a memeber in June 2014 and was referred to TWH in July, Orientation Aug 13. I would love to come to one of the meetings as I live close to the one at Lawrence and Weston. I think that would be an excellent information session because all of you on here are so willing to help us newbies thank you for that.  I keep thinking of the pros and cons and then I look at my kids and think I need to do this so I am around for them and I am healthy for myself! Sorry I don't know where I was going with this (LOL) but I will say THANK YOU!! without you members us newbies would be lost and you have all become great teachers and mentors. I hope to be as successful as of you.

Thanks B

Most Active