My introduction

mrereedhead
on 10/12/14 7:53 am - Canada

Hi fellow Ontarians, my name is Marissa and I am a re visitor of this site and new to this forum.  I had been a member about 5 years ago but got discouraged by some individuals comments.  Now I am less than a month away from surgery and just wondered a few things.  My surgery date is November 6th at St Michaels, surgeon is Dr. Grancharov.  Anyone else have any experience with him?  I only met him briefly by OTN as I live in Kapuskasing.  Also, I was only able to get the vanilla optifast because they were out of chocolate and I absolutely hate it. I am trying to find no calorie ways to make it less sweet.  I find it almost makes me gag it's so awful.  I'm on day 4 and having a rough time of it.  My starting weight before opti was 355 so I've actually lost weight in the last month since mid september.  I cut out my daily iced cap in that time so I would be ready for surgery.  What are some things I should bring with me to the hospital and for my stay after in the hotel?  Sorry I'm all over the place in this post, my concentration is not where it usually is.

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/14 3:14 pm, edited 10/13/14 3:15 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Hi There,

If you are a coffee fan? I mix my vanilla opti with that. Black decaf (at night) and regular black during the day. It is the ONLY thing I have found to really cut the taste of it. I tried the extracts, and cocoa powder, nothing worked as well as coffee. I did read somewhere orange diet pop is good with the vanilla, and i could see that working, as a creamsicle type drink, but I am pretty satisfied with the coffee, so I am going to just finish doing this.

I jotted down a list for my hospital stay, and then I condensed it, because honestly, I don't think we will require much. Basically seems during our stay we will be sleeping, and or walking... I'll list what I am bringing, and maybe it will help :) 

Blistex

One pc pullover pjs

My own pillow (mostly for car ride home)

Ear plugs (just in case)

Slippers

My robe

Baby wipes

Ipad / ear buds for music and movies

Cell Phone and charger

Toothbrush and toothpaste

Gas X strips

One pc pullover cotton dress to go home in (which I will wear into the hospital as well)

One pair of fresh undies

I really did not want to bring too much stuff, because I don't think I will need it. I was more concerned with ensuring I will have what I need at home for when I return. Since I do live alone. OH and I also want to do a majour house clean before my surgery, so I can return to a spotless home not requiring too much of anything, because lord knows, I won't feel like cleaning my first week at least out of surgery.

Hope that helps!

Karen M.
on 10/13/14 10:21 pm - Mississauga, Canada

I think a citrus flavoured Crystal Light or other sf flavouring would be better than diet orange pop.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Karen M.
on 10/13/14 10:23 pm - Mississauga, Canada

There is an entire thread on "Surviving Optifast" with tons of ideas on the Ontario Recipes forum - just click the link in my signature to join. Welcome back to the forum and congratulations on getting a date!

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jiliana2
on 10/13/14 11:29 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Many centres ran out of the chocolate Opti earlier this year. It's a common complaint. Lots of people prefer the chocolate over the vanilla so they run out faster.

We were told at my centre that to make the vanilla into a chocolate, use 1/2 to 1 tsp of cocoa powder. (Not hot chocolate mix, but pure cocoa powder, like for baking.) That will do the trick. If you like coffee, you can use instant coffee to flavour your vanilla as well.

I personally used sugar free syrups (e.g., Davinci, Torani) that I found at Winners here in Ottawa. I used Caramel and Raspberry. I loved them. I like coconut too, so I bought coconut extract and used that as well. Some people like vanilla or orange extract so they do that. Do whatever you are comfortable with, as long as it is sugar free and gives you some flavouring that you like. I expect that with instant coffee and a lot of ice, blended well, you might think you're drinking that Timmie's Iced Cap after all!

Wishing you luck as you prepare for surgery!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Most Active