Getting Frustrated

Patrick545
on 10/7/14 4:39 am

Hi everyone,

Im on my third week out of The surgery but it seems my weight is fluctuating everyday, i eat next to nothing (probably 200-300 calories max a day) and it seems that i will go up and down. Should i start taking B6 and B12 Shots?

sellarsgal
on 10/7/14 5:49 am - Oshawa, Canada

Your body is still recovering from major surgery. Because you are not eating or drinking a lot, and I assume not moving around too well, your body is not just going to drop a lot of weight. It WILL happen! Spend this time recovering, taking care of yourself and try and get your fluids in. Good luck on your journey!

HRRH -Orientation Nov  25, Dr. Sohi Jan 17, RN,SW,Dietician Feb 19, Dr Glazer Mar 5, Dr Sohi March 12. Surgery May 28th

Caroline K.
on 10/7/14 8:29 am

First of all, there's no way you're not going to lose weight at that calorie level; however, the "three week stall" is notorious and your body needs time to regroup periodically. So long as you're getting your protein and water goals, you'll be fine. Try not to stress, and consider weighing less often for now.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Monica9811
on 10/7/14 7:26 pm - Peterborough, Canada

That is not enough calories.  Your body needs fuel!  Get more calories through protein shakes. Talk to your NUT too about how many you should get. If you on the what are you doing eating today thread you will see some newer people who  had surgery recently.  Look at their menus. Good luck. 

Catw
on 10/7/14 11:31 pm - Arnprior, Canada

First, put your scale away.  You don't need to be checking it daily.  At the most once a week (at the same time of day).  Or go longer without weighing yourself.  Your weight will fluxuate for many reasons.

Second, make sure you are taking all the supplements as guided by your centre.

Third, your centre would have set specific guidelines for some things, such as amoung of protein that you need to take in each day, and amount of water.  Focus on getting to those levels.  You may not eat a large volume, but chose higher protein foods when you can.  If you need to, supplement your protein foods (not replace) with protein shakes.

You are at the 3 week stall mark, but follow youre centre's plan and you will lose the weight.  Your body is still healing from the surgery, and getting used to the new lifestyle.  It will start coming off.

Cathy

Karen M.
on 10/8/14 4:17 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi Patrick,

I don't know which centre you went through so don't know what food plan you're on at this point, but I can guarantee you 100% that 200-300 calories per day is NOT ok. Very basic suggestions for you to do now: drink water constantly to avoid dehydration, down the protein shakes (no, they don't always taste good, consider them "medicine" and get it in you), if you're on purees or softs (no clue) tiny wee bites, chewed really well. Take it slow, but keep it going. You need more in your system than you're currently getting.

With respect to the B6/B12 question - that is for your surgeon/centre professionals to decide - please ask them and follow their advice.

Hang in there,

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active