What is the scariest thing about Halloween?

tg2013
on 10/6/14 1:14 am - Ottawa, Canada

The scariest thing about Halloween for me is ...Will power vs. mini chocolate bars!  Last year I had my surgery on Oct 24th  Halloween was not even thought about . I was in the process of my recovery diet and those tasty mini chocolate bars were not even in my thought process. This year  well they are 

I was in a store this past weekend and picked up a bag of Mini M&M's  you know the ones... the Halloween 25 in a bag  give out to kids and not eat them yourself bags. I turned it over and read the ingredients. For 1 little packet (less than 10 M&M's ) it is 3 gms of fat (2gm's are sat fat) , 8 gm of sugar ,9 gm of carbs.

I know I can have just one "snack" of them and I will still be in the "wheelhouse" of my daily eating diet requirements.  If I do step out on the ledge  I usually pick a treat from the weigh****chers line of chocolates. My treat is a weigh****chers pc of English toffee  4 gms of Fat ( 2.3 gm are sat fat),0 gms of sugar, and 7gms of carbs It has 4.1% sugar alcohol 

The question I had in my mind as I replaced the M&M's back onto the self is  Will power vs. Halloween,  Am I going to win ?  I think I am  (as I take a bite of a cracker with some Tzsatzikii  dip ..) 

How do you handle the Halloween candy issue?

troy

Karen M.
on 10/6/14 1:59 am - Mississauga, Canada

Very simple for me. I don't buy Halloween candy and I don't give it out. I realized years ago that very few children came to my door, so I don't do Halloween, other than adult activities that I enjoy, that do not involve candy. :)

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 10/6/14 6:02 am - Toronto, Canada

I have been dressing up and going out with the kids...and because i'm now child-size, not just in height, but in weight, I often get offered candy. LOL. And I TAKE IT!! (and give it to Nick). 

Having Halloween candy in the house...year round (YES, these four kids don't eat their candy all at once, and one still has plenty left from last year....chocolate bars and all things I love) can be very difficult. I have had a few here and there, but they aren't really mine to have, and my body doesn't need it. I "borrowed" a couple on a few long runs when I ran out of gels...but they melted anyway LOL. 

Wonder what I should dress up as this year?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Leanne1
on 10/7/14 8:46 am - Newmarket, Canada

a pirate!!!!

BELOW GOAL        Happily maintaining 4.5 years out!!   Life is GREAT!!!  Had my plastic surgery! 

Catw
on 10/6/14 2:50 am, edited 10/6/14 3:48 am - Arnprior, Canada

Lately, I've been giving out Apple Juice boxes.  It's handy, healthier than chocolate, and my kids will drink them afterwards.  There are other things you can give out instead of tempting treats.  How about halloween pencils/erasers.  Or Halloween pens.  Something that you can use after Halloween if you have any left, or can store them until next halloween.  This depends on budget and how many kids you usually get.

Cathy

Edited to add:  If you have kids or know kids/daycare/school you can give leftovers to, I've gotten Halloween sized playdough to give out as well.  Even the big kids like it.

melshorty
on 10/6/14 3:09 am - london, Canada

Good idea about pencils and erasers, catw!

19star71
on 10/6/14 3:24 am, edited 10/6/14 3:24 am

Even before I decided to have surgery, I would buy candy or chips I just don't like. It's so much easier to say no to the temptation if you wouldn't eat them anyway :)

Surgery done by Dr Gmora at St. Joe's in Hamilton. Feb 3/14-- Pre opti weight: 327. Feb 19th --Day of Surgery weight: 308.  Current weight :175

tg2013
on 10/6/14 3:33 am - Ottawa, Canada

The issue for many ex junk food /sweet tooth junkies  is...  there are no candy or chips that one does not like . The non "food" products might be the answer

Karen M.
on 10/6/14 4:12 am - Mississauga, Canada

Wrong, sorry. There is some **** that I will NOT eat and never would. Check Dollarama for pencils et al.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tg2013
on 10/6/14 4:23 am - Ottawa, Canada

Come to think about it  your right  there was some crap out there I would never eat  Black licorice for one  and those Sun chips  little pc's of cardboard full of fake ingredients  yuck !    

Most Active