Haven't taken before photos yet...

Karen M.
on 10/11/14 10:05 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Definitely take a few in regular clothes as well - you'll feel much more comfortable sharing those later.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Jiliana2
on 10/9/14 12:23 am - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Definitely take your photos! Oh my goodness. Please. I beg. And measurements too! You will definitely find that these two things will really, really be of HUGE assistance to get past the mind blocks that we all go through on this journey.

To illustrate, two stories for you:

I suffered from the inevitable 3-week post op stall. My weight didn't budge at all! And it didn't budge for THREE WHOLE FREAKIN WEEKS! ARGH! I was ready to tear my hair out. But Hubby and I took my 1-month post-op measurements and I did a comparison. While I was stalling, I had lost a total of 12 inches off my body! No joke. The numbers didn't lie. I was ecstatic!!!
NOTE: I personally take neck, bust, under the bust, waist, hips, upper thigh, knee, calf, ankle, bicep, elbow, and wrist.

A second story... just this week in fact. I've lost almost 110 lbs. I don't SEE that loss, but others do. Physically, when I look at myself in the mirror, yes I see some changes but not a loss of 110 lbs. I don't see the huge changes that my husband or my parents see, for example. My husband and I were talking about that disassociation earlier this week and I said to him that I simply do not see what he sees. He cannot even find me in a crowd anymore because for so long he was looking at a different profile of my body than it currently is. Anyway, I said that to him and he said, "Oh my gosh, you've got to see this." He pulled up my pre-op photos and a photo from his phone and did a side-by-side comparison of the two. He took a moment to actually POINT OUT the changes that he sees, from then to now. Different lines. Different bone structure. Different shapes. Different EVERYTHING. He wrapped his arms around me and reiterated, "I couldn't do this a year ago." It made me cry. The photos and the time he took to put that on his computer screen and show me, illustrate to me so clearly, all the things that he does see now... well, it sorta blew me away. And I nodded and said, "Yes. When you put photos like that side by side, I can see it. I see it now." At least I could see it somewhat. And that was already leaps and bounds ahead of where I'd been.

Take the photos. Do your measurements. Even if you show no one only yourself, YOU ARE WORTH IT and they will definitely come in handy on this journey.

Wishing you lots of luck. You're going to do great!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/14 9:23 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

Thank you so much for this, made me tear up!! I love love hearing these experiences. I soooo look forward to reaching the level of success you have, and having my own little moments' Your husband pointing out the differences reminded me of a conversation I had with a friend. One evening when we were talking about my journey, he said to me, that he expects my face will change dramatically, he said he can see a very structured jaw under there" I laughed, looked at myself, and said 'are you crazy, but nope he is adamant my face will change. I can't imagine those things, not yet anyway. I just have always had this round face.  I heard it is likely my shoe size will go down as well, not looking forward to that one... I have quite the collection of shoes!!

Again, I loved this story, sounds like have such a great support system, congratulations to you.

I WILL take those photos this weekend.

NorthernStar
on 10/9/14 2:42 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Taking my 'before' photos was very difficult. I cried when I saw them (you can see them in my profile). But I am so glad I have them now. Sometimes if I don't want to work out, or I want to eat something I know I shouldn't, that image flashes in my mind. Also, take your measurements. You will be amazed at home they decrease. Sometimes I will measure out my old waist # on the tape measure and hold it around myself. I can't believe I used to take up all that space.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/14 3:40 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

You look amazing, truly a different person. Just the expression alone shows a happier, more confident person. Seriously you look fantastic! 

It took me a while to realize I was actually fat. Other than the physical pain, which I tried to ignore. I always thought I was much smaller than I am, until you do see that reflection, or that picture someone snapped while you weren't paying attention.. 

NorthernStar
on 10/10/14 5:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I was the same way! I don't think I'd seen a picture of myself or really looked at myself in the mirror for probably two years before taking that picture.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Karen M.
on 10/9/14 8:42 am - Mississauga, Canada

This is something that I deeply regret. I have very few photos of myself (in my possession anyway) as a pre-op. If I had it all to do again, I would have visually documented every single thing - the good, the bad and the ugly. I love the few photos that I do have and even now, take a good long look at them every once in awhile. It is a very real reminder of where I came from and I never want to forget that.

K.

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 10/9/14 3:45 pm - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

I looked at your before's tonight for the first time, I don't even recognize you. Inspiration. Will do photos this weekend!!! My surgery is so flipping soon, I MUST. 

:)

Karen M.
on 10/10/14 3:29 am - Mississauga, Canada

Newer "after" photos are a must for me - maybe this weekend. Funny, I'm still not all that fond of having my picture taken.  I'll see if I can't get my bestie to take a couple and then I'll post 'em. :)

Karen

(deactivated member)
on 10/10/14 6:43 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 10/20/14

DO IT.  You know, I bet I still won't be a fan of photos after either, we will see just how much I change I guess, when the time comes. : )

Most Active