Saw Nutritionist and RN today - Interesting Info to share

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/14 4:24 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,  

Had my 6 month post op appointment today.  Vitamin levels excellent and all good overall.

I had some nutrition questions, and I now know why I have been dizzy often lately.   I was not getting enough carbs and fruit.  I need to balance my meals out more throughout the day.  I was excellent on protein and veggies but missing carbs and fruits to fuel my body, especially because I work out so much....WHO KNEW!!!  Okay maybe most of you know, but I did not :).  I was basically doing a high protein low carb diet, which is not the way to go.  I will now increase and add sweet potato, rice or potatoes where possible to balance my meals.  Hoping that will fix the issue as I was getting dizzy and even disoriented sometimes (walked into a wall and split my nose open because I was very dizzy one night a few weeks ago).  Also was told to have a greek yogurt after working out with berries. 

So happy we have access to nutritionists and that they can identify and explain the importance of a balanced meal and how to fix scary issues that are caused by nutrition.

Kelly

Karen M.
on 10/8/14 4:32 am - Mississauga, Canada

I am happy that they had a solution for you. Please keep in mind, that solution is for YOU and not necessarily others. I understand the need for increased carbohydrates for those working out hard. They should, however, mostly include complex carbs unless you are basically training for a marathon, etc. (Like Kelly Belly - I'll bet she could give you some great feedback on this).

Adding "white" carbs to your diet is a risk. I am extremely healthy, especially nutritionally speaking, at 8.5 years post-op and eating VERY few simple carbs - no sugar, no rice, no pasta, bagels, white breads.. they're just not necessary.

My $0.02

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

(deactivated member)
on 10/8/14 5:01 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Yes this is a solution for my issue and I did not mean to imply it was everyone's fix or issue.

Karen M.
on 10/8/14 5:06 am - Mississauga, Canada

I don't think you did - I was just making it clear (well, my own version of clear lol).  It's a relief, isn't it, to be able to have continued access to the Centres and the professional staff.  I think creating the registry and associated process, both pre and post op, is the smartest thing OHIP has done in a long time. When I had surgery in 2006, there was no such thing and certainly limited (no) follow-up. Wishing you continued success, Kelly - I'm always impressed with those of us who find and really embrace fitness post-op.

K.

Karen

kellybelly333
on 10/9/14 5:16 am - Toronto, Canada

Agreed Karen, and glad that it's not a blanket statement. I still do not eat back all the calories I burn. And there are days I run for three hours. I found it hard, but important, to add in complex carbs when training hard. For anything under an hour of hard training, I don't really add in much at all. Maybe a banana here and there. I will have a bagel, and white pasta (imagine....but whole wheat pasta can make one poop...something I don't want during a run lol) when I am carb-loading....and it is strictly for energy only. I actually find it a chore, and I often gain 5 pounds during training. Not necessarily from muscle, as some suggest, but really from carbs. At this stage, I put it on in my stomach. A carb-baby I call it. But it fuels me for the run the next day. 

Did they check your sugars? Sounds like you could be having low sugar issues. Try half a banana and peanut butter before you workout, and a protein shake after. Just a suggestion. I nose-dived with my sugars and iron at 9 months out. My workouts were getting more intense, and I didn't have many carbs in my life either. We do need some, but always protein first for meals, and protein at all meals. 

I am probably babbling a little here, as i'm quite tired today. But here is something to take out of this. At 6 months out, you will still lose weight eating carbs. A year from now, the same amount of calories and carbs could make you GAIN weight. I would just add a bit of fruit here and there and hopefully you don't nose-dive!!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

highlandbear
on 10/9/14 12:03 pm - Canada

You are right Karen have to be careful with the carbs. It is not for everyone and you have to be careful. I have never been a bread or potato person so I am lucky that way but I am now eating bagel with peanut butter when I have a long run to do. Kelly suggested it  for me and since I have started eating them before my long run I am not having to look for a bathroom. It is working now but as we all know it may not work tomorrow. I can never eat the whole thing. I split it up but at lest I am getting food in me that I can run on. If I am not running than I stay away from the carbs and forget pasta it does not like me. I would do whole wheat bagels but don't think it would be wise on a run. Marathon is Nov 3 for me. Keep me in your thoughts that day

kellybelly333
on 10/9/14 11:38 pm - Toronto, Canada

I can never eat the whole thing either. For marathon day, I will eat half when I get up, and the other half an hour before we start. October 19th for me! Yay us!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

highlandbear
on 10/10/14 6:00 am - Canada

You go girl. You will be great and let me know how you do. Keep my fingers cross that you get the time you need. 

Lilly M.
on 10/10/14 11:09 pm
RNY on 09/10/14

Karen, I am only one month status post surgery; however, your plan is what I am adopting into my lifestyle change because, "white carbs" were the source of my carb addiction. For me, I know that introducing a few white carbs back into my diet is akin to a heroin addict having just a small amount of heroin and expecting it not to lead back to a full blown active addiction. I am very happy as are my surgeons and NUTS regarding my lifestyle change. When I am medically cleared for and begin more intense exercise my diet may need to change, and I will explore the most healthy options that will be least likely to trigger the need to go back to white carbs. I understand cravings may still occur. But, the elimination of white carbs tends to help diminish the cravings for them.

Revision from Nissen Fundoplication to Roux-en-Y on 09/10/14. HW (214) 05/12/14 SW (198.8)

Karen M.
on 10/10/14 11:20 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Good for you. Everyone has to find "what works for them". I knew myself and my habits well enough to immediately cut refined sugar out of my life - I did not crave it, want it, or even consider trying it. Other "white carbs" have a very tiny space in my life as they're not necessary, completely inferior nutritionally, and I generally don't like how they make me feel - over full, over quick, just "bleah".  A small bite will do. Within the last year I have also managed to cut out artificial sweeteners 99% of the time, which has also made a difference in how I feel.

You're off to a great start. :)

Karen

Most Active