Gallbladder finally removed

tg2013
on 9/27/14 8:50 am - Ottawa, Canada

After a year of chronic pain under my right shoulder blade and almost a full year of every test my surgeon could think of I finally had my gallbladder removed yesterday. I was scheduled for surgery on Thursday but due to a heavy Emergency dept. load they bumped me at the last minute.  The surgery went well (No word from the Surgeon of any issues). I do find that the pain I am now in is actually more intense than the pain I had after the RNY surgery. I wonder if that is because I was a day surgery patient as opposed to a admitted one?. I have been placed on 1 or 2 Hydromorphone pills every 4 hrs. My question is Has anyone else taken this type of pain killer? It does not seem to work for me . I was also on 1- Tylenol 2 every 4 hours prior to the surgery and that didn't help my chronic pain. I think I have developed an immunity to pain killers. If that's possible

Darbaybe_2014
on 9/27/14 9:54 am - Kitchener, Canada

Hi there, 

I am glad your gallbladder surgery is over and that it went well. I am sorry you are in pain..Sounds like you have had a heck of a time figuring out the source of your pain and I hope now that you are gallbladder free your pain will go away! I have not yet had RNY surgery BUT I did have my gallbladder removed years ago and I remember it was quite painful...alot of gas and cramping....it took a good six weeks before I felt relatively "normal" again....

Congrats on your success with the WLS !  You are an inspiration to those of us still waiting.  

Take care and keep us posted on how you are doing :)

Referral to Guelph:  January 2014 ~ Orientation Guelph: April 24.14~ Meet Nurse: June 03.14, August 28.14 ~ Meet SW: June 16.14 & Aug.28.14 & Feb.09.15   ~ Meet Dietician: June 16.14, August 28.14 & Nov.19.14~  Dec.31.14 & Feb.05.15 Meet Internist Dr Agarwal: Sept.28.14 ~ Post Op Nutrition class: March 16.2015  Meet Surgeon: April 16.15 ~ Approved for surgery: April 16.15 ~  Surgery Date: July 14.15 ~ Started Opti:  July 07.14~ Opti Starting weight: TBD~ Surgery weight: TBD ~ Goal weight: 150  

Karen M.
on 9/27/14 11:50 am - Mississauga, Canada

I find the only narcotic pain pill that works for me is Percocet. T3 doesn't touch it, morphine makes my head spin, and the list goes on.

The pain you're now feeling may be internal gas that is pumped into your gut to allow the surgeon to remove your gallbladder laparoscopicly. (sp?) Walking can really help with this.

Congrats on finally getting your sick gallbladder out - hoping it's smooth sailing for you from now on!

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

tg2013
on 9/27/14 10:45 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Karen

I had Percocet before after a surgery and they only made me sick to my stomach. Same as T3's . I found there is not much of anything that helps me with pain.  Today I feel a bit better. I walked a lot yesterday but had no gas . Very much like after my RNY  a lot of walking  but not expelling any gas.  I look forward to seeing if the gallbladder removal is the cure to the chronic pain I have been in. It's to early to tell yet seeing I am experiencing surgery pain.

Karen M.
on 9/27/14 10:49 pm - Mississauga, Canada

You're right, time will tell if this is finally the solution.  Sincerely hoping it is - been way too long since you've been pain-free.

Even though there's no expulsion, keep on walking. It's moving the gas around inside and (hopefully) moving it toward an "exit". lol

Speedy recovery!

K. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

ronshoneygirl23
on 9/29/14 8:32 am

Hi, I take hydromorph daily for my knee pain and it works wonders. I am a nurse and was a pain management nurse in the past. Hydromorph may make you a little sleepy until you get used to it but works wonder on pain. Just make sure with any pain med that you take something to keep your bowels moving and drink fluids. Maybe you need to have your dosage increased. I find Tylenol #2 and #3 very constipating and hard on the stomach. You may just require more medication because pain is a learned behavior in the pain nerves. The longer you are in pain the more it takes to get rid of it. Don't wait until pain is unbearable. Hope this helps

Christy

Most Active