Ottawa Area..Anyone know of private dietitian good with WLS regain many years after surgery?

mermaidoz
on 9/22/14 5:17 am - Canada

Hi: Need name of a practitioner in Ottawa who has experience with regain 6+ years after original RnY surgery...in other words someone more specialized than a general nutritionist who hands out standard diet menu sheets....I was self pay out of province at the time, lost very slowly post surgery and never lost all my weight, and now find after stress from several cancer surgeries and treatments that I have regained 50 lbs steadily from stress eating over past year and a half and need someone to one help me get back on track but has to be familiar with gastric bypass surgery.

Thanks!

lammytee14
on 9/22/14 9:12 am

Why not contact the Weight Management Clinic at the Civic? That would be a really good starting point, even if you didn't have your surgery done there.

I wish you all the best...sounds like you have had your share of challenges since you had your surgery.

Tammy :)

bonefish
on 9/24/14 7:05 am

Can't hurt to call Ottawa, but I do believe that OHIP doesn't cover care for people that paid out of pocket :(

Hope I'm wrong. 

mermaidoz
on 9/24/14 7:30 am - Canada

Like I said, need a one-on-one Dietitian or Nutritionist specialized in WLS. Doubt Dent & Co what I need right now. Need much more close-up care and whether OHIP pays or not immaterial.. 

Anyone can give me name of such a professional?

Cheers, the mermaid.....

PS Or am going back to Bernstein Food Gestapo, hoping they will take on my challenge ( you may see me in some ad on tv stating "gastric bypass not the solution, Bernstein is", whatever!)

KM_Ottawa
on 9/26/14 10:24 am

They absolutely DON'T provide any dietician services at the Ottawa Weight Management Clinic for anyone who paid out of pocket for WLS (even though I went with a Canadian doctor that a couple of years ago was having Ottawa patients referred to them.)  I've not had any problems and am still losing nicely but did have some ongoing questions for the dietician about long term.  I called the Ottawa Weight Management Clinic but was was told "no".  If I was cynical I would suspect they really only care if you went through them for surgery and can follow you for their stats.  

cutekatie
on 9/26/14 12:10 pm
RNY on 05/16/12

I really don't think the dieticians at the WMC are that good when you need specific information.

I would not go to Bernstein but what about the Baratric Medical Institute (Dr. Freedhoff?)

I'm not sure why no one else has said this but in reality to lose weight you have to go back to what your original plan stated - protein first, etc. etc. You don't need a dietician to tell you that but it sounds like you need a trainer, or someone to keep you on track and make you accountable.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Most Active