What are you eating/doing today? (Wednesday)

kellybelly333
on 9/16/14 11:58 pm - Toronto, Canada

Gosh Karen. I'm sorry you have to go through that. I hope you can get back to life soon too! Is it painful to sit? 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 9/17/14 12:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

It has been painful to sit since I lost 170 pounds and have a flat ass, but that isn't the problem. LOL

Because of my liver illness I am extremely prone to retaining fluid that my liver cannot process (hence the ****load of meds I take each day). When I sit with my legs down (sitting in an office chair in work position, for example) fluid pools in my feet, ankles and legs, which is painful not to mention ugly). It is WAY better now after so long (used to have to sit with my feet elevated at all times) but we are not sure the length of time I can sit in that position before having to elevate for a period to relieve pressure and pooling. i.e. can sit and work at her desk for one hour, then will require elevation and a walk for 15 minutes (no idea, just a number I am throwing out there lol) before resuming work.

Not sure I explained that well, but hope you got my meaning.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

kellybelly333
on 9/17/14 2:17 am - Toronto, Canada

You did. I had no idea you're going through this as well. Boy oh Boy you have had quite the go at this Karen. You're poor little, flat-assed, body. Do compression socks help at all?

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Karen M.
on 9/17/14 2:35 am - Mississauga, Canada

Kelly, what I have come to learn through all of this is that there really isn't a part of your body that the liver doesn't affect - the brain included. At my worst I would gain 25 pounds (POUNDS!) of fluid that would settle in my abdomen. I looked, and felt, like I was a full 9 month pregnant. The meds weren't working so several times I had to have the fluid drained (i.e. long needle, catheter insert into my gut, etc). My brain was so overcome with the toxins the liver is supposed to filter out of your body that I couldn't string together 3 word sentences, couldn't name common household items, memory black-outs, etc. I still don't remember all of 2013. Pretty sure I don't want to.

Compression socks and the like can help at times, yes, though they can be painful so I wear them only occasionally.

Quite frankly, I am thrilled to be alive. I am happy to deal with some swelling and pain if needed. ;)

Karen

Zizzler
on 9/17/14 3:13 am

Karen does standing cause the same thing to happen?  There are adjustable desks that allow people to work and stand at the same time.  I have several colleagues who have this setup and work standing up most of the day if not all day.

Karen M.
on 9/17/14 3:18 am - Mississauga, Canada

Great question and I actually did think of that! Standing still would be difficult for me at this point for long periods of time, BUT.... I think if I had an adjustable desk that would allow me to rotate between standing and sitting throughout the day, it would greatly alleviate the swelling and pain. Not sure such a thing exists, a desk that could easily be adjusted whenever needed. Another solution may be to have my usual work station (will need to be adjusted anyway - lowered as it was too high to begin with since I am so short) and a side tall work desk that I could put my laptop on and work at. Something for me to ask for in any case! Good thought :)

Karen

Zizzler
on 9/17/14 4:27 am

Hey Karen, yes the desks are easily adjusted from sit to stand, most are motorized and quiet.  Also makes the desk adjustable to any height, which is great.  I would love one of those myself as my tailbone already aches!  Hope you are able to find one you like and that helps with your medical condition. What do you find helps for the tailbone aching?  It is really painful when I do recumbent cycling.

Karen M.
on 9/17/14 4:40 am - Mississauga, Canada

Interesting! I can only imagine what one of those desks would cost though! Wonder if the City is willing to cough up that kinda cash. LOL

Wish I could help you on the tailbone thing. I still, after all these years, have not found an appropriate cushion to sit on. Let me know if you find something!

Karen

Delicious_Delilah
on 9/17/14 1:23 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Wow that sounds like quite the ordeal!  Wishing you all the best!!  

DD

Karen M.
on 9/17/14 10:45 pm - Mississauga, Canada

It was, it is, and thank you. :)

Karen

Most Active