Not at goal but people telling me to stop losing weight...Really??

KarenHope
on 9/13/14 6:50 am
RNY on 04/15/13

I am getting the same kind of comments. I just tell people that I appreciate their concern but that I am well supervised by a wonderful medical team so they don't need to be concerned. 

I am at my centre's goal but I would like to get to 150 lbs. I am 15 pounds away. The counsellor I am seeing suggested I try to maintain for a few months then work of losing 5 pounds, maintain for another few months then try to lose another 5. Keep doing that until I see where my body wants to stay, practice maintaining. The hope is that I will find a weight that is suitable for me and avoid the "lose till I can't any more then regain syndrome". 

Good for you for speaking up for yourself.

Karen

Referral Oct '11 Orientation Ottawa Dec 9 '11 NP June 25 '12 Sleep Clinic July 27 '12 

Tr to Kingston Aug '12  NP/SW/Nut Oct 1 '12 Pre-Op class - Dec 12 '12 Surgeon  Mar 4 '13    Surgery Apr 15 '13     

HW 304 CW 175 GOAL 150  

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:43 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thk, for the feedback, helps to hear that I am not alone.

Kelly

Patm
on 9/13/14 6:51 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

When you are first losing you tend to lose a lot in the face3 so people think you are thiner than you are. I found the weight seemed to re-distribute as I went along.

Unfortunately I have not lost it where I would like. I have absolutely no boobs but still have hips. Oh well, I am healthy

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:44 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thk you, that seems true and it will be good when it redistributes.  I seem to be losing evenly enough but my face does look a little like it needs redistribution so glad to hear it will.

Kelly

karenp8
on 9/13/14 7:54 am - Brighton, IL

I think nearly everyone hears this at some point. I have been obese my whole life and had people from church telling me I had lost too much when I was just barely overweight by my bmi. I really can't understand feeling like it's alright to comment on things like this. I always just tell them that I am being supervised by two different doctors and they are pleased with where I am.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:45 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

That is good advise and I think I too will use it on pushy opinionated people to keep them quiet.

Thks.

Kelly

crqvingchange
on 9/13/14 8:51 am

You might ask them what they think is a healthy weight for your height.  My guess is that they will say a number lower than you are right now, then you can say, thanks I'll let you know when I get that low but I'm nowhere near that.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 9:46 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Awesome, I never thought of that....I will absolutely use this!! thks.

providence
on 9/15/14 7:49 am
RNY on 03/20/14

I too have had people ask if "I'm Done", and I still have a substantial amount of weight to lose. I think in some cases people mean well, but don't understand the underlying message they may be sending. The best response is that you are being monitored by medical professionals who are guiding and setting realistic goals for you.

Onward and
Downward

on 9/17/14 1:27 am, edited 9/17/14 1:29 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

Your massage therapist is not a doctor and really doesn't have any clue what an appropriate weight for you should be. If she's just offering her personal opinion, fine (well, not fine, she should mind her own business), but she certainly shouldn't be offering it in any professional capacity. She's not a dietitian, she's not a doctor.  You are in a weight range now where you can stop if you like or keep going if you like - you're certainly not in any danger if you lose some more weight, unless your doctor says you are.

My doctor has told me that 175 is an acceptable goal weight for me (even though it's in the "overweight" range in the BMI). It's one that I thought I could maintain without being miserable and starving myself, and I am perfectly healthy and mobile at that weight.  He would have also been fine with 180 or 160 if I'd suggested those weights, because I'm healthy so it's a healthy range for me. And even if I'd wanted to push myself and go down to between 140 and 160, that is still a healthy weight by the BMI.

I would ignore the massage therapist on health subjects that are out of her field of expertise.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active