Not at goal but people telling me to stop losing weight...Really??

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 1:31 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

My massage therapist identified to me today that I now need to stop losing weight and pulled in a colleague to confirm her opinion.  Not sure I agree with her as I am still 14 pounds from the goal set for me by my centre.  I remember in university saying the same thing to a friend who lost so much weight and truly meaning it....I now feel bad for telling her that.  I personally even question the 170 goal set for me, as I am 5'4" tall, but I am "chested shall we say" so figure that will get me to a size 8 which is acceptable. 

Funny how others perceive you when they have known you pre op.  Some have a hard time accepting the weight loss, which in this particular case is funny as my massage therapist is very skinny herself.....go figure.

Oh well, I just trust the process and healthy eating and exercise and I will end up the weight I should be in the end.....

Have a nice day everyone.

Kelly

joeyanne
on 9/13/14 2:34 am - Canada

If you google it they say 110-140 depending on your frame. I am also 5'4 when I was 24 I was 128 and that was a good weight on me. BUT we are older now and carry differently. I think you will know by the way you feel what a good weight is for you.

REF Nov 28/13. INFO Mar 10/14. SOHI Apr 11/14. R.N,DIETITIAN and DR GLAZIER Jun 23/14. SW Jul 17/14. SOHI Jul 25/14. SURGERY Oct 10/14

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:48 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

My doctor identified that 170 is a realistic goal and a healthy goal.  It should bring my waist size to 30 and I would be happy with that.  If I go smaller great but I think it helps to have an initial goal and then anything over that is a bonus to help as I hear there is a bit of weight regain after.

Thk you for the feedback and I agree...healthy is best and you know what is good for you as does the doctors who follow us.

thks, Kelly

tg2013
on 9/13/14 3:50 am - Ottawa, Canada

Hi Kelly    It's funny you posted about people telling you to stop losing weight . I actually posted a similar topic a few weeks back. I get that all the time  I have been post op for 11 months and have exceeded my goal loss weight  by only 5 lbs.  but the comments to stop losing weight started when I was 20lbs over my goal weight. Even my father who nagged me for years about losing weight said two weeks ago I need to stop losing weight . People who have not dealt with this type of surgery just don't understand . As long as the doc and clinic people are ok with my weight loss then I do my best to inform others but I do not take it to heart in what they say.

Troy  

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:38 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

yes that is what I will do also.  Thks for the feedback it helps.

kimber291
on 9/13/14 4:22 am - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

I've gone through this very same thing myself recently. With my aunt being the worst at it. My mom had to ask her to please leave me alone. That I've tried for a very long time to lose this weight and I am very happy and so very proud of how far I have come. (She doesn't know I had surgery) that this is my journey and I will stop when I feel I am ready.  So please I'm begging you to stop. And she has. I felt really bad but at the same time it isn't fair to me. Especially if she was saying it in front of others. My other aunt told her to leave me alone that she thinks I look FANTASTIC! 

I am just over 16 pounds from goal. Putting me at 127 pounds. I'm also only 4 foot 11 so what may look good on someone 5'4 (as my aunt is) doesn't look so good on my height. Atleast not for me. 

You do what's best for you....and congrats on your loss so far!

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:51 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi Kim,

Congrats on your goal. I guess some people think it is okay to push opinions even when they are not wanted.  Glad to hear you have the support and family to stand up for you.  Kind of incredible at all the comments from everyone that this happens so often.

Keep up the good work.

Kelly

kimber291
on 9/13/14 8:22 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Thank you Kelly. 

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Zizzler
on 9/13/14 5:27 am

I would be confused too if my massage therapist said something like that.  I am glad you posted this because I am dreading such comments in the future, not sure what I would say either.  People are so weird.  My clinic goal is also 170 and I am 5"4 too, so I don't think that is too small.  170 puts me in he overweight category, not even normal weight, definitely not underweight. My ultimate goal is 140, which would allow for some regain as this often happens. It is funny how people are so much less shy about telling you that you are too skinny versus too large.  You are doing awesome and massages are awesome too, if they get too annoying you can always find another place, I can recommend a few really good ones, just msg me. 

(deactivated member)
on 9/13/14 8:42 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thk you.  I also find it weird because she used to also comment on me get breast reductions.....I think she is just opinionated and will take it with a grain of salt and keep doing what I am doing as I want to continue the journey and get to where I need to be.

Thks for your feedback.

Kelly

Most Active