Exercise

cyko_chika
on 9/9/14 4:14 am - Canada

Where do I start. Im good to go, now what do I do to be most successful.

Patm
on 9/9/14 4:15 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Only you can figure this one out. Try some diffrent programs and find what you can stick with. Or just start walking. Good luck

Catw
on 9/9/14 4:35 am - Arnprior, Canada

Try different things, and find something that if fun.  It's easier to stick with something fun, than something you force yourself to do.  Or set a goal.  If you are using machines (i.e. treadmill, elipticle, bike, etc) make sure you have good music with a good beat.  I find it easier to exercise to music, but you want a song with a decent beat, if it's too slow, you won't move as fast.  If it's too fast, you may get discouraged.

Good luck!

Cathy

TES
on 9/9/14 4:37 am - Ottawa, Canada

Due to the fact my hips, knees ankles and shoulders have yet to forgive me for 45 years of obesity, I'm simply walking.  And it feels really good.

I'd suggest just starting there and adding in new activies as your body gets use to the exercise. 

Next on my list is cycling if I can get over my fear of street-cycling!

TES

glutenfreeslimmer
on 9/9/14 4:48 am - Kingston, Canada

I did lots of walking in the weeks after surgery.  Now that I'm 6 weeks post op, I've just started back at Curves.  I really like it, it's only women, and only takes 30 minutes to go around the circuit twice, and you can work as hard or as easy as you want.  I'm not good at machines, they look too much like they are for weight-lifters, but the curves machines are very woman-friendly.  There's always attendants on duty (and not all a size 2) to help. You can usually get a free try, just to see if you like it.

Laurie C.
on 9/9/14 4:54 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I just mainly walk but I also enjoy Aqua Fit and have started swimming (with flutter board, prescription goggles and fins) a really scarey picture, I'll tell you but it works.  As long as you're moving.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 9/9/14 6:16 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

I use the elliptical machine for 1/2 hour Monday to Friday, crunches daily, stretching daily, weights alternating days (which helps tone loose skin and minimize loose skin as your weight goes down), walking the dog some afternoons when it is cooler out and so on.  Helps if it is something you like and if it can easily fit into your schedule so that you can maintain it and not quit.

Maybe start walking and move to short jogs as you progress.  Soon you will be running.  If you need more focus try joining a fitness centre as this helps keep you focussed. 

Only you know what you can do and like to do....just get moving and slowly increase your activity.

Good luck.

Kelly

Dave_J
on 9/9/14 11:02 am - Canada

The big thing is to find something you enjoy...if you like walking, that's a good start.

Personally, I try to go to the gym 3-4 times a week, and spend usually 1.5 hours there, between 15 minutes on the elliptical (could barely do 1 minute when I started), 20 minutes on the treadmill, and the remainder doing weight training.  I then go home and take the dogs for a 45 minute walk.  In August, I started going to a local 9 hole golf course and would walk that and carry my clubs.  On some weekends, I would do the gym, golf, and walking on the same day (fortunate benefit of being single), and tonight, for the first time, I walked 18 holes without actually dying ;).  All this exercise has resulted in a 120 lb drop since April.

Anyways, my whole point is to find something you enjoy and start with that.

Started Optifast April 8, 2014, and had surgery May 6, 2014 @ St. Joe's, Toronto, Dr. Lindsay

Most Active