7 weeks....Salad?

Swampy1976
on 9/8/14 3:08 am - Marmora, Canada

I'm wondering if we can have salad yet? The hand outs stress no celery but don't really say about lettuce, shredded carrot, cucumber ect. I'm craving a Greek or Cesar salad!

Caroline K.
on 9/8/14 3:38 am

At Guelph, you have to wait 3 months for raw veggies if I remember correctly. Yeah, I hear you. I wanted a salad so badly! Of course, now that I can have it, I can eat so little of it that it's hardly worth it since it sure doesn't last, especially if the dressing wasn't on the side. [Aside: 1 more month until I'm allowed red meat. I want a burger so badly! ;) ]

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

NewMe2.0
on 9/8/14 4:23 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Just to add to Caroline K's post..( I am also through Guelph)..at my 3 month followup it was suggested to try raw vegetables and salads by  slowly adding them to  my diet..reasoning behind was that salad can actually bunch up and when you swallow it, it can get stuck or bruise your pouch...same for hard vegetables.  They suggested shredding stuff like carrots and broccoli and having it that way ( you can actually buy a shredded broccoli slaw).  With that being said, I have had diced tomatoes and cucumber (peeled) with no issues (yummy with feta cheese or sliced boconcini)..but have not had a leafy salad yet. 

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Laurie C.
on 9/8/14 5:35 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

I remember having at Caesar salad at about 8 weeks, I followed every rule exactly.  Caesar salad was what I craved so bad and it truly was awesome.

Enjoy

You only need a taste.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

NorthernStar
on 9/8/14 5:39 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

I started trying some raw veg at 5-6 weeks out, I would think you would be fine by 7 weeks.

Why does Guelph want you to push back on raw veggies so much?

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Swampy1976
on 9/8/14 6:01 am - Marmora, Canada

Thanks for all the answers!!

Linsie
on 9/10/14 12:44 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I am through Guelph as well and waited the full 3 months - I started with carrots, and now am making mini wraps using shredded lettuce. Lettuce is hard to chew "apart" so shredded is usually easier to eat and I've had no issues. Every clinic is different though with all their rules. I had a tough time the first month and a half with pretty much everything, food, drinking, everything, so I took it extra slow and wanted to not push the envelope too much just incase I screwed something up worse than it already was lol now i'm good, 3.5 months out and eating my carrots daily, nom nom crunchy!

Onward and
Downward

on 9/10/14 2:45 am - Canada
RNY on 11/07/12

At TWH we were allowed to start vegetables during the soft food stage, 4-8 weeks, although they did suggest that you leave the raw veggies for closer to the end of that stage than the beginning. I was eating salad during that time - just a little at a time at first - and didn't have any problem.

Referral to registry: Oct 21, 2011    Orientation (TWH): Feb 22, 2012     Surgery: Nov 7, 2012

Come to Toronto East End Coffee Nights! Click here for details.

Most Active