OHIP, start to finish.

Eireannach_lady
on 9/7/14 6:23 am - Canada
RNY on 12/05/14

I am still waiting on the day when I have surgery.

I have been through quite a few tests and now await my appointment in October to see an Internist.

Since I was referred February 2013 to now, it seems it's been forever, although, I know it hasn't been.

Has anyone else experienced such a long wait whilst going through OHIP in Ontario? How long was your wait from start to finish? ( referral to surgery )

Just want to know I'm not alone!

Thanks!

BluIzGal
on 9/7/14 6:36 am, edited 9/7/14 6:37 am - Canada
RNY on 07/10/12

Each centre and each person varies - depending on tests, cancellations and such.  The biggest hurdle I faced was having my doctor send the referral to the registry properly. It took a couple of months (and a few attempts) for her to get it right. Once mine was received by the registry it was six months to the day. Mind you, I didn't require additional tests (sleep apnea or scopes) and had a great deal of flexibility in my schedule to make it for last minute cancellations. Looking back though, a longer wait would have let me work on the head issues a bit more before surgery.

Patricia

jaxie77
on 9/7/14 7:47 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hi there , 

I am patiently waiting also ! My referral was received September 2013 , I have my final appointment with my surgeon this Wednesday coming . He is backlogged so I am looking at possibly next summer before surgery . I have been on a cancelation list all along , the only thing that was somewhat speeded up was my Internist appointment . I will ask if I can go on a cancelation list for surgery also . So we shall see ! Hang In there .....it seems long ...and I guess it is a long time but like the last poster says ...it really is an advantage , it gives us more time to soak in all the info we need for our future life ! Even though we don't maybe realize it right now , ( me anyway !) We are constantly learning things just by being on this forum and reading posts everyday . It's invaluable . 

Good luck with everything , we will both be on that bench soon lovey 

Eireannach_lady
on 9/7/14 8:12 am - Canada
RNY on 12/05/14

Thanks ladies!

I am going through St. Joes in Hamilton, and yes, I shall indeed 'hang in there!' 

LilyBugsMommy
on 9/7/14 9:04 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I was 26 months from my family doctor referral to surgery, in Ottawa (Jan/11 to Mar/13).

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Franny1977
on 9/7/14 9:36 am - Canada

Well for me I started in April 2013 I didn't here any until I call in feb 2014 thats when they told me i was lost in the system ofter that I was the 1 in control for al my appointment I call everyone before they called by the middle of April  had got my surgery date for oct 28 2014

StephLE78
on 9/7/14 12:36 pm

I had my referral in September 2012, Orientation in Windsor in December followed by my appointments starting in February 2014 at the centre in Windsor.  I had my series of appointments and finally got all my approvals in August 2014.  At that point my sleep tests were lost and not in my file.  I knew they were lost because my Dr referred to me having sleep apnea during my June appointments.  Then once they got my file, they asked for a follow up with my sleep doctor which i got in October 2013.  My sleep doctor took 6 weeks to send a letter saying he saw me for 5 minutes which changed nothing and just asked about if I was using my cpap and how it felt.  Then finally got my surgery ed class in January 2014.  Met my surgeon end of March 2014 and had surgery May 5th 2014.  It was a long wait and annoying waiting for paperwork to be put through but it was well worth the wait. My life and mobility has changed so much since May and I feel awesome even though I have a long way to go to meet my ideal goal but the 130lbs I've lost so far with the initial weight loss, the optifast weight loss and the post surgery loss have changed my life. I feel like I'm back to my old self, I can work out with no problems and I feel awesome.  

Jiliana2
on 9/7/14 10:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

I'm in Ottawa (I know all centres are different for timelines) but here, it was just over one year from referral to surgery. My details are in my signature below.

Hang in there. I count myself lucky to live in Ontario where WLS is concerned; I am from Newfoundland where the wait can be 7+ years!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Pegasus_AM
on 9/8/14 1:30 am

I'm not sure about start to finish but I started May/2014 and had my orientation August 18th 2014 now waiting for further appointments. Good-Luck

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

1HealthyMomma
on 9/8/14 3:02 pm - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

Referral Jan. 2013 surgery Oct 2014. So 21 Months and worth every minute. I think it is important to have a wait to give yourself time to do head work and learn as much as you can. Honestly there is so much information to absorb. I've been reading up on this for about 4 years and I feel there is so much I don't know. That's why I'm so glad I found this place and all the wonderful people that are here.

Take Care All,

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

Most Active