I Got My Date

Lima
on 9/4/14 11:28 am

I finally got the call for my date.  Oct 1,14 with Dr. Mammaza in Ottawa.  I start opti next Wednesday Sept 10.  I'm elated, scared, nervous, happy, and terrified, all at the same time.  Can someone give me a sample schedule of vitamins to take and when?  I'm already on Iron once a day, Vit D 2 a day and B12 shot monthly.  What am I missing?  I'm also on thyroid med once a day.  Where and when do I fit in Calcium?  

kimber291
on 9/4/14 1:14 pm, edited 9/4/14 1:15 pm - Port Hope, ON, Canada
RNY on 02/11/14

Congrats!

You will also have to add in a multivitamin and your calcium. I would take the multi with your iron and take the vitamin d with your calcium.  BUT the calcium and iron MUST be taken 2 hours apart. If your multivitamin has iron make sure when you take the 2nd one of the day 2 hours apart from calcium.

Here's what my day looks like

8am multivitamin

10am calcium 600 mg

12 pm calcium 300mg

2 pm calcium 600 mg

4 pm multivitamin

Not always at those times depends if I'm on my work week. 

VERY IMPORTANT!! Make sure your taking CALCIUM CITRATE and not the Carbonate!! The carbonate doesn't absorb. 

Good luck!

Kim

Referral - Oct 29/13

Info Session - Nov 18/13...1st surgeon appt - Nov 26/13...RN/SW/RD - Dec - 4/13...Dr.Glazer - Jan 8/14...2nd Surgeon appt - Jan 22/14 PATTS - Jan 29/14...

SURGERY!!!! FEBRUARY 11th 2014.

Nikipie_72
on 9/4/14 9:23 pm - Canada

Mine is Oct 1 with Dr. Mamazza too I wonder which one of us will be the morning and which will be the Afternoon?....lol I am starting Opti crap Wednesday as well heading to Kingston to pick it up today..I seen a 2 pack of liquid Blueberry Calcium with Vit D at Costco I am going to pick up today as well I hope we get the opportunity to meet!!

Good luck Nicole :)

Jiliana2
on 9/4/14 10:29 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

Here's my current regimen of vitamins/minerals.

6 a.m. (with my breakfast protein shake as I head out the door)

• First and foremost! a prescription PPI (for me, Lansoprazole) to reduce stomach acid. I have a sleeve and I have to take NSAIDs for the severe arthritis, so this PPI protects me). Many WLS patients take a PPI for a year or so to ensure that we reduce our susceptibility to develop ulcers in our new tummies. For me, because of the NSAIDs, I'll likely be on this PPI for life... or at least as long as I need the arthritis medication.
  • Citrical Petite -- calcium citrate, available at Walmart in the USA but I had the devil of a time trying to locate it in Canada, though I was told it is here. I valiantly tried the regular sized calcium pills, but I always had trouble and they got stuck or I gagged on them. The Petites aren't quite as big and are easier for me to take.
  • Centrum Chewable Orange Multivitamin -- 2 per day, available at Walmart in the USA, not in Canada (I can still take this at 6 mos. post-op); many Canadians take the Centrum Silver Chewable and that does the job just fine.
  • Webber Naturals chewable vitamin B12 -- 1 per day. Because you take the injection, maybe you can skip this? To discuss with someone at OWMC.
  • Webber Naturals vitamin D -- 2000 iu (or any of the other various brands, as long as I take 2000 iu per day)
  • other, as needed items to help my digestion and to keep my bowels moving! Many of us have trouble with that and some of the remedies I've seen that work are: Milk of Magnesia, Docusate Sodium or other stool softeners, Miralax, Senakot or Senna pills or other pill form laxatives, smooth move tea, inulin fibre, Metamucil, or probiotics.

10 a.m.

• Bariatric Advantage Calcium Citrate 500 chews -- I take a total of 1500-2000 mg of calcium citrate per day. That comes from my multivitamin, the Citrical Petite in the morning, and these chews through the day. This particular calcium citrate chewable is available through ordering at Amazon.com or from the Bariatric Advantage website. I highly recommend the caramel flavour! YUM!!!!

2:00 p.m. (or after my workout)

6:00 p.m. (around dinner)

• my two regular prescriptions (for arthritis and hypothyroidism)

11:00 p.m. (or right before bed)

• Iron (because like you, I'm always super low; I've been taking iron for years. The nurse at OWMC indicated that right before bed would be best.)
  • chewable vitamin C (to facilitate the iron absorption) 

NOTE: OWMC told me, in no uncertain terms, that any of the gummy vitamins contained too much sugar and other fillers and to we are to stay away from them.

Also, make sure to check with the hospital to see if/when you need to stop your medications/prescriptions prior to surgery and when to start them up again.

Wishing you LOADS of luck on the Opti and I know your surgery will go super smoothly. You got this!

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

Patm
on 9/4/14 11:19 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Good luck. I have added you to the surgery list

glutenfreeslimmer
on 9/5/14 6:46 am - Kingston, Canada

I had Dr. Mammaza do my sleeve on July 25th.  He was the surgeon I met with, and he is so knowledgeable and well respected.  Don't be surprised if you don't see him the day of the surgery.  He is the senior surgeon in Ottawa and has very competent doctors working with him.  I only ever spoke to them, until the day I was leaving and Dr. Mammaza popped in to check on me.  The day I had my surgery at 11am, he did one at 8:30 in the morning as well, we you both may be right after each other.

Most Active