Surpassing expectations - Grateful post!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 7:33 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Everyday I am in awe at what a great choice I made to have RNY surgery.  I expected to reach the goal weight set by me centre by 1.5 years out (170 pounds).  4.5 months post op and already I lost 73 pounds and I am at 187 pound - 17 pounds to go.  I feel and look better than anything I could have imagined would be the result of the operation.  I am a clothes person so I shop for a new outfit every other week.  It seems every other week I go down a size.  Today I fit into a size 10 jeans and a medium top - and they looked good!!!  I anticipated going down to a size 14, maybe an xl top after the operation for some reason and would have been happy at that size.  It is an adjustment for me to have my mind catch up to what i really look like now.  I am wearing tight tops and luckily have family support to identify to me that I look good and not fat.....it is very surreal!!!!

I have already posted on the other benefits but since as far back as I remember (lets say high school)  I have had mild headaches to migraines at least once a week.  Since my operation I have had one mild one start that went away after one Tylenol.

I used to have to go to the massage therapist every other week, and the chiropractor the other week or I would get neck and back pains - I now have been going once a month and not because I need to but because it feels relaxing.

For me the only negative has been mild hair thinning and the cost of replacing my wardrobe...a small price to pay for this life changing experience.  I am more active and happier than I have been in years.

So all my ranting is to say I appreciate getting this operation and I think anyone reading this pre-op who may be nervous or on the fence....don't be it is such a gift!!!

Kelly

jaxie77
on 8/31/14 7:48 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Lovely wee post  keep going dear , you are doing so good !! I really hope I can be posting something similar soon ! I am very happy for you doll ......you are doing amazing xxxx 

p.s ......If you are near Barrie ...hit up Plato's Closet on Bryne Drive ....used designer stuff, its awsome !!!

Julz1974
on 8/31/14 8:05 am - Bowmanville, Canada

I am SO beyond thrilled for you!  This was a great post to read as I am only a week to starting my two week Opti and very nervous and questioning things...so thank you!  You reminded me to why I started this journey....and I needed it at this time!  

Keep going and keep that positivity cause it is wonderful to think and hear and read!  Congrats on such a success!  Take care.

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 9:25 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Thank you, and good luck on the surgery, keep everyone posted on your progress.

Regards,

Kelly

Zizzler
on 8/31/14 8:31 am

So happy for you Kelly, you must feel so awesome!  Amazing!

Did you have any emotional issues after surgery?  I have been feeling all over the place emotionally and being at home I have way too much time to think about things. I am seeing a therapist but just wondered if you went through an emotional adjustment too.

Highest: 320, Surgery: 255 (Aug/14), Lowest: 132, Current: 167, Goal: 155

Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards. - Soren Kierkegaard

(deactivated member)
on 8/31/14 9:37 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi Zizzler,

I did not really have many emotional issues myself, but my spouse said I was a little "snippy" the first month.  I am a very non emotional person by nature though, very even keeled.  Having said that, I did find I would cry while watching TV or movies, which I normally do not do.  Thus, I think it is normal to be emotional, and if you are emotional by nature it must be amplified post op.  Expect things to normalise around week 4 - 7.

Also, I got very restless being off work for a month (I needed the month because I work sitting at a desk and found sitting hurt), and my operation was in April so the weather was rainy and I could not walk outside so was stuck wandering around the house for a month.  Thus, the first month was hard until I returned to a normal routine.....around 7 weeks when I was able to return to my regular exercise routine things started to normalise a lot.

Keep positive and I found chatting on this forum helped, especially in the beginning when I had a lot of questions post op.

Keep positive and I wish you continued success and luck.

Kelly

Zizzler
on 8/31/14 2:00 pm

Thank you Kelly for your reply, it helps to hear that things should get better soon :0)

Most Active