A little Stressed

ronshoneygirl23
on 8/31/14 9:57 am

I really need your suggestions and help with something. My physician put in my referral last Feb. I got my Orientation date in April. I have had Osteoarthritis for several years and now my knees are bone on bone. Both of them. I thought I would put off my Gastric Bypass since I will be scheduled this fall for Bilateral Knee replacements (both knees at the same time). I am not worried about that as I think I can handle that and it will take some time to get over that. When I went to the Dr last week I told him I thought I would like to put the bypass on hold and he said definitely not. He even thought I could handle having the bypass done shortly after the knee replacement surgery. I am really stressing about it now. I am going to the Orientation this coming Thursday at HRRH but have some questions. How long after Orientation at HRRH until the surgery takes place? Both surgeries are major surgery and I do not take it lightly. I want both to be total successes. Can anyone tell me an approx. time line? I have been trying to lose weight in prep for the knee replacements but this past week I have been binging constantly and I just hate how I feel. I have lost 140 lbs in the last three years but put 55 lbs back on in the last two. Mega stress in my home. Moved, husband had a heart attack, new job X 2. I have finally been blessed with the job of my dreams and we are settled in our new home. My hubby is back to as good as new. So I think I am on the road to recovery. Please if anyone can give me some info I would love it. I just have a lot on my plate right now and want to make good decisions. I think the bypass surgery will be a wonderful tool and I totally recognize it as just that. I am 56 almost 57 years old and really want to make the rest of my life count. I have a wonderful supportive family and a super hubby. If you can give me any info I would be so grateful. Thanks for all your support.

Christy

Laurie C.
on 8/31/14 10:36 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Hi:

I had my surgery RNY wen I was 55, now am 57.  I agree with your Doctor and I would think that the knee replacements followed by the Gastric Bypass should be doable.  I understand the yo-yo issues as I sure everyone on this forum will.

Actually you might be better off to have your knees done first so your mobility will be better for the gastric surgery.  There is also the NSAID issue to consider, none after gastric surgery.  It seems that the timeline is about 8-10 months at HRRH going by what others post.  They would be happy to hold your gastric for a couple of weeks or a month depending on your cir****tances.  I think it is a good plan and I wish you the best of luck. 

Just keep trying to move.  I understand the knee pain also, do your best.

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

jaxie77
on 8/31/14 10:50 am - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey there , 

First of all .....sorry to hear about the rough time you have had recently ! Glad your hubby is doing well and everything is getting better for you . 

I agree with your doctor also , if you feel ready to decide on having this surgery , get going on the process . If you are scheduled for your knee surgery in the fall , you will defo have that before WLS . 

I am through HRRH , my referral was sent September 2013 , I have my final appointment with my surgeon on September 10th 2014 ......and from what I'm hearing , my surgery date may not be until May/June next year !!! I have Dr Klien as my surgeon and he seems to be backlogged more than the other surgeons at Humber . There is Dr Sohi , Hagen and Hunyh ( I think !) 

So ! Dont delay .....get the ball rolling at least , chances are you wont be having surgery till well into next year at the earliest . 

By that time you'll be well over your knee surgery and have a lovely shiny new pair to exercise the hell out of during your awsome 'NewYou ' journey !!!

Good luck with everything and look forward to following your progress xx

Jax xx

1HealthyMomma
on 8/31/14 10:53 am - Oshawa, Canada
RNY on 10/07/14

From all I have been reading I would think bariatric surgery would end up being in the spring. It seems3- 6 months from Orientation to surgery. Faster for people who go on cancelation lists. Everything will work out great.

Take Care

Lisa

Laparoscopic Roux-en-Y Gastric Bypass On October 7,2014 with Dr. Hagen   

ronshoneygirl23
on 8/31/14 11:20 pm

Thanks everyone!! This morning I am feeling so much better after reading all your posts. Everyone is so encouraging and I really feel I am doing the right thing.  I feel like I should be well over my knee surgery and will be able to walk/treadmill and eat well before having my gastric bypass and get well prepped. You are all so wonderful you just confirmed what I was feeling when I went to bed last night. Glad to be one of the Group.

Christy

Kittykatt1329
on 9/1/14 12:52 am - Alfred, Canada

Hi Christy,

Sorry to hear about all the past stress you were under, but glad to see that things are better for you.  I had hip replacement last December and the gastric bypass in may of this year, I was approximately 100 plus pounds overweight when I had hip replacement as well previous 2 knee replacement in last 9 years.  After recovery from hop replacement with physio helped me with the scheduled gastric bypass.. As I had recovered enuf from the hip surgery that I didn't have any issues with the gastric.   I know how you feel with the pain. And would not delay the replaceme

Cheers and good luck

Cathy

Most Active