Self Pay recommendations please :)

NorthernStar
on 8/18/14 5:40 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Ballpark wait times in Ontario are about a year. I'm curious why some choose to take on the expense of self-pay rather than go through the regular process and have it covered by OHIP? It's not that painful and it's not that long either, you have the convenience of being close to home as well as the follow up care.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

KM_Ottawa
on 8/18/14 8:57 am

This really depends on where you are located in Ontario  -- Toronto maybe.  For Ottawa I was quoted by the program as 6 to 8 months from referral to even get an orientation date -- then add the year to year and a half wait through testing and appointments.  (My referral went in Sept 2013 and orientation was scheduled for the end of February 2014 --- about 6 months.  Going private I had my surgery before I even received the orientation letter from the Ottawa program.)

My blood pressure & migraine issues were such that I felt 1.5 to 2 years was too long a wait for health reasons.   (My BP is now normal without meds and my migraines rare now.)   Ottawa is 2 hours away from Montreal so distance isn't an issue.  The medical expense is tax deductible so I'll get a chunk back at tax time. 

People have many reasons why they make the choices they do.  Some people will spend more for better cars or houses or vacations or clothes.   I chose to spend this to improve my health.

DustyB
on 8/18/14 1:40 pm - Canada

Hi, wait times in Ontario are the shortest of all the provinces.  Facing a 10 year wait has you assess whether you will live that long.  Self-pay was the only real option to take care of my own health.  No new car this year LOL LOL.  Extremely happy I have been able to access this care.  No regrets.

Shelley H.
on 8/23/14 9:12 pm

I agree :)  Self pay is the only option I am considering. 

Julz1974
on 8/18/14 7:26 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Hi Shelley.  I am a new member by about 15 minutes now and just posted a question regarding self pay as well...I to am thinking of Montreal to get it done sooner then later.  I actually have my phone consult with the Doctor tonite at seven thirty.  I am not having a revision this is the first for me with anything to do with weight loss.  I am nervously, excited about the possibilities this will hold for me and my health...and I am like you I think it be best for me to at least stay in Canada to have it done instead of further away...although things do very Province to Province...it is still Canada at least, lol. 

Anyways, just wanted to say hi and wish you all the best...

Most Active