Frustrated

turbo021421
on 8/9/14 11:45 am

I am 15 days post surgery.  I lost 16 pounds within 4 days and have lost NOTHING in the 11 days since.  I haven't heard of anyone else with this experience.  I have been compliant with the liquid stage but now in creamy liquid stage I find myself testing things....1 oz of watermelon, green tea, Greek Yogurt.  I have not had any acid reflux, nausea or stomach discomfort.  I can easily eat a full cup of creamy soup within 15 minutes with no pain or problems.  When I hear of people eating 2 oz. I wonder if something is wrong with my surgery that I can eat 8 oz? 

Also, it seems impossible to get all the protein in and only eat 800 calories.  I am running about 950 calories per day.

Suggestions?

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/9/14 3:46 pm

I'm almost 4 weeks post op and lost 5 lbs the first week, none for the next ten days or so, then another 7 lbs over 7 days.  Stalls early out are very common particularly in weeks 3-7.  The speed with which you lose weight will depend on many factors, how much you have to lose, whether you are taking in enough fluids and protein.  For example, people who do not take in the recommended protein risk their bodies breaking down muscle.  Muscle weighs more than fat and can result in faster weight loss but it's not necessarily a good thing.  People not getting in enough fluids may also show more weight loss because of the loss of fluids.

Try not to judge yourself by others numbers.  I'm averaging a little over 3 lbs a week and I'm happy with that.  I've lost many more inches -5 off my waist and went from a size 22 to a 16 in 6 weeks incl. Opti. I was 255 on surgery date and had lost 21 lbs on Opti before that.  My center told me to limit meals to 1/2 cup (4 oz) as I never seem to feel either hungry or full since surgery.  I can drink more if I want usually 8-12 oz no problem but with more solid foods they don't want the pouch to stretch which can cause wight regain down the road.  I also take in between 900-1000 calories a day and with exercise burn upwards of 3000.  If you burn more than you take in you will lose but the early stalls are super frustrating.  I now only weigh myself weekly to minimize frustration.  I suspect your body just has to catch up with the changes.

turbo021421
on 8/9/14 3:56 pm

Thank you! I no longer feel so alone!

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/10/14 1:51 am - Windsor, Canada

Your first stall was a little early but it's all good. 

http://diminishingdawnreturns.blogspot.ca/2011/03/inevitable-first-stall.html?m=1

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Most Active