Exercising before RNY? Loose skin targeting?

NorthernStar
on 8/12/14 2:17 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

While I don't think exercise helps with loose skin at all, I think it would be great to start! I do have to say, exercise can help with the overall look. I have "bingo wings" for sure, some of which is fat which I'm still working at losing, but some is skin that is not going to tighten up. But my shoulders are getting more defined which I love. I can see my delts and biceps when I look in the mirror. I might not be able to tighten up the skin but there's more to the way your body looks than just the skin.  

(I can't see my triceps but I hear them scream "I'm smoooshed in here!!")

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/14 8:15 am - Toronto, Canada

I have slowly started being more active, and my aim is to try running once the weight comes off! Right now, no can do, my joints can't take it.

Congrats on the delts, biceps and shoulders!! :) Always feels good to start to see those changes in the body.

Zee Starrlite
on 8/12/14 2:32 am

Check this out.  Brandilynn was so inspiring.  I wish she would come back to OH.  Mostly I wish that she is doing great in every aspect. 

Do the work and see where your body takes you.  That is the bottom line. Look here now for inspiration.  Brandi, wherever you are I hope you don't mind me re-posting your amazingly inspiring post.

https://www.google.com/url?q=http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/4502603/Brandi-of-the-past-sends-warnings-to-Brandi-of-the-future/&sa=U&ei=u0DqU-fvOMyf7Aby1IC4BA&ved=0CBIQFjAG&client=internal-uds-cse&usg=AFQjCNE0dhAqhlFryISZwSnaZvK7Tf-Mqw

3/30/2005 Lap Band installed  12/20/2010  Lap Band REMOVED  
6/6/2011 Vertical SLEEVE Gastrectomy

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/14 8:16 am - Toronto, Canada

I will check her out, thank you for the suggestion, and I agree, look for inspiration now, here is the perfect site to find just that!

Dcgirl
on 8/12/14 5:45 am - DC
RNY on 12/16/13

Hi Lynne!  It totally varies, as everyone here says.  An example - I went shopping last weekend with a friend I met here on OH.  She is early 30s and I am mid/late 30s.  She has lost 100 lbs and I have lost 170 lbs but we are both at 198.  Since we were in the dressing room together, we kept meeting by the mirrors to show off good and bad outfits.  Her legs look AMAZING and mine look like a sharpei dog lol.  We both work out 5-6 times a week.  I can say, though, without question, I would rather be fit and strong and energetic and wrinkly than tired and aching and obese :)  Good luck!!!

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/14 8:17 am, edited 8/13/14 8:17 am - Toronto, Canada

I completely 100% agree, tired and aching everyday sucks, looking forward to not feeling this way! Sharpei dog legs or not! I will rock it. :) 

Thank you for the well wishes! And congrat to you on your success

White Dove
on 8/12/14 7:04 am - Warren, OH

I was 59 having surgery.  Walking or running never did much for the muscles in my legs.  What helps is weight bearing machines like leg press.  My legs look great.  I do use self-tanner, I wax my legs, and I use lots of creams to make the skin look soft.  I work on keeping the muscle underneath the skin firm and on making the surface of the skin look smoother.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 8/13/14 8:20 am - Toronto, Canada

I hope to have the same results! I've never worn shorts... I'd love to after this journey, but as the past poster mentioned, just not feeling achy and tired all the time would be a huge improvement in the quality of my life. still fingers crossed I have your luck and end up with a hot set of legs :):)

Most Active