Exercising before RNY? Loose skin targeting?

(deactivated member)
on 8/11/14 6:16 pm - Toronto, Canada

I was thinking a lot about loose skin after surgery tonight, do you think doing targeting exercises before surgery and trying to tone up certain areas you think will be the worst for loose skin would help? My thighs are huge and Im really worried Ill be left with legs I won't feel confident in showing. I don't care so much for the belly, as I don't plan on wearing crop tops any day soon, but I'd love to be comfortable in a dress that the length didn't fall below my knees.

I always hear people speak of exercising after surgery, has anyone tried this before? I know age, genetics, ect all play a role in it, and I realize loose skin will likely be inevitable, but Ill do anything I can to minimize it. 

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/11/14 10:07 pm - Windsor, Canada

You can definitely try but there's no guarantees for sure.  A lot of it has to do with age and genetics.  

I am 43.  Had my surgery 8 years ago.  I walk like crazy - many 5ks and half marathons and 10 miles for fun during the summer.  My legs still look awful.   The skin is not pretty and hangs.  The removal of fat makes my les look like a highway of varicose veins.  You may be more blessed than I.  You may not.  Just know that you'll help but they may still not look so hot after surgery 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

kellybelly333
on 8/11/14 10:52 pm - Toronto, Canada

Yep...running doesn't do anything for my legs. Still loose skin, and the veins. Thank GOD for compression pants!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

KerryF.
on 8/12/14 3:20 am, edited 8/12/14 3:20 am - Brampton, ON, Canada
RNY on 10/15/13

just getting popped out varicose veins in my legs last just started a week ago...... one of those side effects no one mentioned   can you tell me more about compression pants?????

HW 312  SW 289.5  Current Weight 135

SURGERY OCTOBER 15, 2013 Toronto Western Hospital - Dr. David Urbach  

kellybelly333
on 8/12/14 5:26 am - Toronto, Canada

Sure. This is a great article on compression pants It's by a regular person, but gives a bit of a lesson on them as well. For training, they are great for my recovery. I am now running 5-6 days a week (as i'm going for a faster time for my marathon), and they are great for that. I also wear compressions socks (knee-highs) with compression shorts. They also reduce risk for injury. 

As a WLS person, it is also great for the extra skin I have on my butt and inner thighs. I will never be able to wear the cute running shorts you see girls wearing. I might be able to fit into them, but the actual applause I get from my extra skin is not acceptable to me...or anyone around me. "Do you hear that clapping? Where is it coming from?" 

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/14 1:15 am - Toronto, Canada

Well I guess it is just a luck of the draw then... I was hoping since I am in my early 30's that maybe, just maybe the skin gods would be kind to me, but it seems you had the RNY close to my age, and still were left with it... Thanks for the input, and congratulations on your successes!!

jaxie77
on 8/11/14 10:14 pm - Canada
RNY on 12/16/14

Hey Lynne , 

I've been thinking the same way ! I'm sure any exercise will help at this point , and not just for the skin factor ....just overall health going into surgery . I have been walking a lot , doing a good brisk walk with my friend after work and trying to swim a few times a week ( in the lake so weather permitting ) . The areas I'm most worried about are my inside upper thighs and my arms ... ( Bingo wings !!) ....my belly I kind of know will be bad but like you I'm not concerned about showing that . I would love to wear a swimsuit one day ( one without a skirt !) But rhe blubber on the inside of my upper thighs is a problem for me :( And I dont think it will go away !! 

I guess all we can do is work our hardest up until our surgeries , do everything we can to get into the mindset of post surgery with regards to exercise , and wait and see what out bodies do ! Keep up the good work doll , we will be rockin those beach bodies in no time !! Lol xx 

Jax x

P.s ....I started a class at my local Y at the beginning of the year and im gonna start going back ...its called Gravity ...its all done on a machine that uses your own weight for the exercises ...its an awsome class and really helps to tone up  and strengthen your core, check it out xx

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/14 1:18 am - Toronto, Canada

Hi Jax,

That's exactly my plan! Swimming might be a great idea for me, although i haven't even been in the water in five years or so, I'd guess... But I am definitely going to check out what I have around me and look into that. 

We may not end up with the results we are hoping for, but at least we are making those positive changes now. :) Good luck to you.

Delicious_Delilah
on 8/12/14 12:59 am - Ottawa, Canada

Definitely, going to the gym, working out, walking, running, etc. are all great ideas!  Ultimately, as said by others, there will be a lot of factors that determine how much hanging skin you have. If you have stretch marks, then that skin will not rebound as the skin is damaged, but if it's not too bad, then maybe you'll do okay. 

For me, lots of hanging skin and my thighs sort of look like melted candles. Sigh. But better that than all that fat still being there. I am looking at getting a thigh lift as well as surgery to remove my "wings". Nothing else to be done. And I do workout..a lot. On the bright side, my shoulders, top-side of my arms, and back have great muscle definition!  And now that I've had a tummy tuck, should get to see some of the results of all the ab workouts that I do (bless my kickboxing class where the cooldown consists of about 150 to 300 crunches of some form!). 

Good luck!

DD

(deactivated member)
on 8/12/14 1:24 am - Toronto, Canada

I just throughly inspected my thighs, and I have no stretch marks, just a few on my waist!!! You just gave my legs hope.

you're right it is better than the fat being there. Great job on exercising, I look forward to the day where my body can handle some hardcore workouts! I also look forward to having clavicles again! And defined shoulders. 

I guess it is really just a waiting game to see how my body will hold up... but it seems some loose skin is bound to happen.

Thank you for the well wishes! 

Most Active