New here and need some info

kizzie48
on 8/11/14 6:34 am

I will give a little background first. A few years ago, my doctor referred me for surgery hoping that by the time they got to my referral, the Sudbury center would be open. It wasn't and when I received the letter for orientation, they wanted me in Toronto within 2 days. With 2 kids and a 10 hour drive, that was not possible. They then kicked me out of the program. Fast forward a few years to now, and I need some info.

With Sudbury now open, what is the average timeline from referral date until orientation? The reason I am asking is that for pretty much the entire month of November, I am booked and can't leave town to go to Sudbury for orientation. I am looking to have VSG done. Also, what is the average time from referral until surgery? I have been wanting to get this done for several years now, and I am finally at a point, where it is possible to do this. Thanks for all your help.

Caroline K.
on 8/11/14 6:49 am

I can't help you with info on the Sudbury timeline. As far as I understand things, OHIP only covers RNY, unless the surgeon deems that a VSG is necessary. For Guelph, the average wait time seems to be about 12 to 16 months.

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Pegasus_AM
on 8/11/14 6:55 am

I don't know about the Sudbury area but I'm sure that if they do book you for November you can always call them and reschedule. My girlfriend couldn't make her initial orientation due to a previously booked surgery so they rescheduled for the next month with no problem. I hope everything works out for you :-)

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

kizzie48
on 8/11/14 7:02 am

Thanks for the info. Everywhere I have searched, OHIP now covers VSG, that's why I am looking at timelines.

Karen M.
on 8/11/14 7:05 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yes they do. Go in with research and legitimate reasons for doing so.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

dawn4511
on 8/11/14 10:07 am, edited 8/11/14 10:08 am - Niagara Falls, Canada
Welcome to the group.
I don't know about Sudbury but most centers are at least a year. Yes the VSG is covered however be ready to explain your choice. Most DRs seem to push the RNY(imho)

10/18/07 RNY ( hw 305 sw 290 lw 189ish) St Joe's 08/14/14 RNY reversal to sleeve. I survived 3 leaks,4 operations and a feeding tube.

coop1977
on 8/11/14 11:50 am - Canada

I am going through Sudbury .... Referral was sent in March, orientation was Aug 6 th and the next step isn't until February ... I am hoping after the one on ones in February that things will go faster! 

Janet

Dr. Ramos Kelly .... Jan.13, 2015

kizzie48
on 8/11/14 12:47 pm

Wow! That is a long time between referral and orientation. I do have a list of reasons for choosing VSG so that's not a problem. I just wanted to know more about Sudbury as it seems hard to find info about them. I appreciate all the info and help.

Most Active