Walked to work today!

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/6/14 11:38 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I walked to work today for the first time. Before I had surgery and lost weight, I never would have been able to do it, period. Today it took me 40 minutes to complete the 3.5 km walk. This makes me very happy :) Going to try to walk to work on a regular basis to up my daily steps. Plus, it is good for the environment, saves me some gas and wear & tear on my van and it is good for me!!

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Catw
on 8/7/14 12:02 am - Arnprior, Canada

Way to go!  Soon you'll be walking it quicker and quicker.  What a great NSV.

Cathy

kellybelly333
on 8/7/14 12:26 am - Toronto, Canada

Awesome job! I was thinking of running to the subway tomorrow. I just might have to try that!

Surgery March 23/2011. Completed three full marathons and two half marathons, two half Ironman distances. Completed my first Full Ironman distance (4 km swim, 180 km bike, 42.2 km (full marathon) run) in Muskoka August 30/2015. Next Ironman Lake Placid July 23/2017!

Patm
on 8/7/14 12:43 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Thats great. I love walking now. It is so much easier than before.

Monica M.
on 8/7/14 1:48 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

good for you! i'm impressed!!!

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/7/14 3:35 am - Windsor, Canada

Fantastic!!  

That's how I got to be  walker.  I started with work and then progressed to the mall, show, all over the city. I always feel good when I'm walking with a purpose.  Now I can walk huge amounts and it's nothing. Even the last four years of the half marathon I never trained lol.  Walking feels good especially during the summer when the sun is shining!! Really good for the head too!!  Be proud!!!

Dawn

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/7/14 4:18 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Thank you everyone! I am pretty proud :) I do go to the gym, but, I am trying to incorporate more activity into my daily life. Before surgery, this walk seemed like the other side of the earth. I had thought of trying to walk to work then. I never would have made it even half way....now, it is okay. It is still far, but definitely doable! I am hoping that the more I do it, the faster I will get at it.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Laurie C.
on 8/7/14 5:11 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

Congrats, you will whittle that 40 minutes down in no time.  I carry a backpack for my assorted stuff and I put a light on it for fall and winter, yes I look like a caboose walking at night but it is safer.  My son actually bought me the light at the pet store, um 'cause he cares?

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

providence
on 8/7/14 11:57 am
RNY on 03/20/14

That is great! I started walking home from work about a month ago. It is just shy of 5K. Today was brutal, didn't really feel like it, but it has become a part of the routine. It does make you feel good. Keep up the great work!!!! Well done.

Sassy75
on 8/7/14 12:27 pm - North York, Canada

Good job!!! You will get faster everyday :)

Most Active