VSG vs RNY

Blueiiis
on 8/5/14 10:59 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

After the orientation class, I had thought a VSG would be a better choice, but as I am scheduled for RNY on Monday.. I will take the RNY!  

Karen M.
on 8/5/14 11:20 am - Mississauga, Canada

Why do you think that? We can talk about it.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Blueiiis
on 8/6/14 1:41 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

It seemed like less could go wrong with the VSG and it was mentioned that recovery can be easier.  That was just my first impression though, and after reading and research I am fine with the RNY - looking forward to it actually lol.

I just see so many VSG posts on OH that it made me curious as to why people would choose one over the other.  It's true in the US they are paying or maybe it is the approved surgery for insurance companies down there. 

Karen M.
on 8/6/14 5:36 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling good about having RNY. I was thinking about you last night and wondering why you would post about surgery choices and I thought maybe you just had some last minute jitters, which is totally normal. You seem at peace with this and I'm glad to hear it. I'm excited for you - you seem to be in the right frame of mind to make this work. Please let me know if I can help you in any way!

K. xo

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Sassy75
on 8/5/14 12:13 pm - North York, Canada

Hi Blueiiis, 

my surgery twin, I am having the sleeve done. I have celiac disease so this is a better choice for me :)

Bonnie250
on 8/5/14 12:35 pm
RNY on 08/25/14

originally i was going for a sleeve, but i decided in the end for RNY, my surgery should be late August, i cant wait...When i found out sweets werent as well tolerated with the RNY and you lose more weight with RNY than the sleeve, I made the choice, and havent looked back....Best Wishes to you!!

Bonnie

Steps78
on 8/5/14 7:31 pm

Not true. Only 30% of RNY patients get dumping syndrome and you can lose as much weight as needed with VSG, it just takes longer. 

To the OP, I agree with those who said do your research and decide which surgery is right for you. Ontario has a definite bias towards RNY so I suggest you do your own research concerning the VSG. You really need to look at your eating habits, health, family health history etc. you need a "coming to Jesus" moment if you will. Then once you are sure, fight for what you want. I did and got what I wanted. 

Good luck! 

As I began to love myself I freed myself of anything that is no good for my health - people, food, situations, things, and anything that drew me down and away from myself. At first I called this attitude a healthy egoism. Now I know its "love of oneself". Charlie Chaplin

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/5/14 2:09 pm

In Ontario for OHIP to pay for VSG it has to be medically required or your BMI has to be over 50.  Some of the medical issues involve NSAIDS.  For example, if you have severe arthritis and will need these drugs for the rest of your life you can probably get the sleeve covered.  I understand that GERD is much more common ( and not usually resolved with the sleeve) so if this affects you RNY might be better.  For those with diabetes the chance of a "cure" is much higher with RNY and it is the intestines where the sugars are absorbed/ mail absorbed not the size of your stomach that matters.  

As as someone noted you always have a choice particularly if you are willing to travel and pay out of pocket.  I really liked the idea of the sleeve but medically when I did all the research it wasn't the right choice for me so I had the funded OHIP RNY.

In the US or. Mexico people can have whatever they want whether it is right for them or the best medical choice because they are paying for the procedure.   Much like the band here in Canada.  I know a lot of people who shelled out 15,000 put of desperation and a belief the screening and wait times for other subsidized surgeries were too onerous.  Many of those end up getting revisions to RNY or the sleeve.

As others have said it is best to research all your options and talk to your family Dr and your surgeon about what's best for you before signing the consent.  They know your medical history best and the types of issues that could impact choice of surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 8/7/14 10:47 am

I have to agree with a few of the above posters, it is so important to thoroughly research the available choices and have a good understanding of why you would like a certain procedure.  RNY or VSG, it is important to advocate for yourself and work through any hurdles to get to the operation of choice.  Many people are getting VSG because they have done their research and got lucky with a surgeon who is willing to work with them.  The bariatric system in Ontario is very unfair to those who want VSG. Some are lucky to find a sympathetic doctor and others have to deal with surgeons who only will speak about RNY.  RNY is a good choice for some, but there should be choice in Ontario for VSG. Especially, when new research shows that the outcomes from surgery are similar.

Good luck!

CGCL
on 8/7/14 11:27 am, edited 8/7/14 11:27 am
RNY on 02/19/15

I went into my initial consult with the surgeon after doing a lot of reading here and research, and decided on the VSG. I thought since I'm a lightweight (relatively speaking; BMI 36) I could lose enough on that to resolve or put into remission some of my medical problems. But she pointed out that I have diabetes, metabolic syndrome, chronic back pain, severe sleep apnea and infertility, and explained why RNY was probably the healthier choice for me. Her basic explanation was that she'd do either one for me but believed I'll have a better shot with RNY. I have lost weight successfully before with simple calorie counting, but not enough to really make a huge impact on my health--even with over 10% down from my heights weight. So, after thinking about it more, RNY is what I'm going to have done in a few months. 

Height: 6'0" HW 5/2013 295. Consult 7/29/14 275. SW 261. RNY 2/19/15. M1:-33! M2:-13.5. M3:-12. M4:-10.8. M5:-9.7. M6:-5. M7: -4.5. Pregnant 8/15-5/16. 10 weeks post partum: 173.

Most Active