Tomato sandwiches ?

4-Jane
on 8/2/14 7:26 am - Canada

I use to enjoy toasted tomato sandwiches but I do not like bread any more and come to think of it the what are you eating thread seldom has anyone post that they ate bread.  What are some alternatives as field tomatoes will be out soon. The bread does not sit well with me at all, upsets my stomack.  Ideas welcome......please

Respectfully Jane
Diminishing Dawn
on 8/2/14 7:44 am - Windsor, Canada

I've seen a lot of this lately.

http://mobile.eatingwell.com/recipes/baked_parmesan_tomatoes.html

keep in mind it won't be protein first. 

I also do a tomato and boccinini salad quite a bit.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

4-Jane
on 8/2/14 8:27 am - Canada

Thanks Dawn

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/14 8:58 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I slice tomato, put fresh basil on it and a drizzle of balsamic glaze, heavenly, no need for bread.  Definitely a side dish as there is no protein in it.  I've done the baked tomatoes but I like my tomatoes cold much better. I have been eating tomatoes with basil and balsamic for breakfast every day with some old cheddar on the side for the past few weeks.  I just have a protein shake first with my coffee then eat that as my mid morning snack, late breakfast sort of thing.

4-Jane
on 8/2/14 10:13 am - Canada

Sounds very good thank you what is balsamic glaze

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/14 10:19 am - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

It's just a balsamic vinegar reduction and it ends up more like a drizzled honey texture when it's done.  You can make your own or you can now buy it in stores.  They use real sugar in the ones in stores but you need so little that I can't see it bothering even the person with the most sensitive sugar issues.  It's way more vinegar to sugar ratio even when you make the home made stuff.  We love it on grilled veggies and on beef.  It's a great sauce, lots of flavour for a very small amount.

4-Jane
on 8/2/14 1:36 pm - Canada

I will look for it , Tracey sounds good can it be used as a salad dressing as well or on chicken?

Respectfully Jane
(deactivated member)
on 8/2/14 9:27 pm - Bumfuknowhere, Canada

I don't use it as salad dressing as I just use my regular balsamic for that but you could drizzle a bit on if you like it.  It's very very concentrated and you need very little.  It is good on chicken and really good on salmon too.  I bought the Unico brand this last time but it's made by a lot of different companies and even all the big chains have it in their own store brand name.  It's a small bottle for about $5 but since you lose so little, it does last a long time.  I have made it from scratch and used a blend of splenda and agave as my sugar.  Honestly not worth the effort to make it yourself as it takes hours to reduce it.

mandygarden
on 8/2/14 12:38 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada

This may be a question for the vets but I saw a really cool recipe with tomatoes and quinoa.  Can you eat quinoa post surgery?  I know its a great source of protein but im not sure how it sits well.  There were lots of really good tomato posts on pinterest if you are looking Jane. 

Referral - August 2013  Orientation - October 2013  Intake - November 2013  Nurse Practitioner - March 2014  Surgical Orientation - April 2014 Psychometrist - April 28, 2014  Nutritionist - May 5th, 2014  Ultrasound - May 21, 2014 Internest - July 29, 2014 Meet with Surgeons - August 7, 2014 PreOP - Aug 18th  Scope - Aug 19, 2014 SURGERY AUGUST 27th!!!!!!

Patm
on 8/2/14 10:49 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

Quinoa is a good grain but I have it sparingly and only on maintenance.

Most Active