Concerned about liver shrinkage - Optifast problems!

LalahRose
on 8/2/14 1:20 am, edited 8/2/14 1:36 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

I started a strict Optifast diet five days ago.

Three days in, I was nauseous and my head throbbed but I'm very determined to follow this diet. The fourth day I was vomiting violently and had diarrhea, chills, headache. I called my nutritionist and fortunately got hold of her on the Friday before the August long weekend (the first Monday in August is a civic holiday in Canada, for American friends reading this) and she advised me to try again with just 2 packets a day instead of 4.

As soon as it hit my stomach, the nausea and vomiting would start. I have no problem with the bad taste of it, and I'm not tempted to eat food. The difficulty is in just keeping the stuff down, which I am not able to do even after sipping water for several hours and trying again. My nutritionist's suggestion for this weekend was to try Boost Diabetic, 4 a day, with some protein power mixed in. I have some LeanFit whey protein powder on hand which I tolerate well. This morning (Saturday) I have only had plain water, as my stomach is still calming down after all the vomiting.  Even my eyeballs are sore, lol. 

I do understand that there are vastly different requirements in other areas, but using a strict, low-carb, high-protein Atkins-type diet to shrink the liver is not an option here in the Toronto area. They are very strict about this.

Hopefully I'll keep the Boost Diabetic down! Anyone else have to try Boost Diabetic as an alternative? How did it work for you?

Will my liver shrink enough when I spend so much time only drinking water without protein?

LalahRose
on 8/2/14 1:22 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14
LalahRose
on 8/2/14 1:26 am - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14
Lana00
on 8/2/14 6:12 am

Hello,

sorry to hear that you're going through this. I don't have a direct answer for you, but if it helps to know...there are diets laid out for people who can't do Opti fast. I did Opti for 3 weeks and my surgery was cancelled a couple of times for reasons out of the hospital's control. I was worried that all of the work and efforts I achieved through Opti would be for not. I asked the NUT for a specific diet that I could follow. They gave me a 1 page document that gave me great tips to still keep my liver smaller. On Tuesday, you could ask about that, if Opti just isn't going to work for you. 

Best of luck!

redviking
on 8/2/14 9:14 am - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

I am lactose intolerant, so I couldn't do Optifast. The nutritionist in Guelph had me on 3 shakes a day that were made from lactose free milk, carnation instant breakfast and beneprotein powder (available over the counter from my pharmacy).   Maybe there is some similar solution for you. Good luck! That sounds terrible!!

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

GiGisGirl
on 8/2/14 10:17 am

You may have an intolerance to lactose or the artificial sweetener, there are alternatives ask your nurse.

DeeMishka
on 8/2/14 11:29 am
RNY on 08/08/14

I totally can sympathize with you. I was going through the samething but my centre did allow high protein low carb diet. I too am terrified that my liver won't shrink, I'm scared that my liver was huge before and won't shrink enough because they didn't check anything on my liver  so how do they know what my liver was before. I wish that they would have done something to measure my liver prior to the Opti and this high protein diet.

redviking
on 8/2/14 12:32 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 07/22/14

You probably had an ultrasound some time ago.  That would have indicated the size of your liver.

Referral: Nov 12   Sleep Study: Feb 13   Orientation: Feb 13  1st appt NSWD: May 13   2nd appt NSWD July 13  2nd Sleep Study: Dec 13   Post Op Nut: April 14 Meet Dr. Pereira-Hong: May 14  PATTS: July 8 14   Surgery: July 22 14

ANTI0NETTE
on 8/2/14 1:02 pm

I would like to purchase the opti fast from you if u cant take it. Im sorry u hav to endure this but I would like it if u cant use it. My surgury is 9/3. U can email me at [email protected].  thx

LalahRose
on 8/4/14 1:36 pm - Canada
RNY on 08/19/14

Great news, the Opti is yours! I'm sending you an email. Sorry to take so long to reply but I'm just getting over being sick.

Most Active