Sugar free chocolates - are we allowed.

(deactivated member)
on 8/2/14 2:02 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

I had a bit of a craving for something sweet and was sick of sugar Mr.freezes.  I am 3.5 post op and curious are we allowed sugar free chocolates (Russtell Stover No sugar added peanut crunch chocolates)?  Just as a little bite to calm that sweet tooth you so get at times?

Kelly

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/2/14 3:05 am

I'd love to know the answer to this too.  Particularly what the impact of sugar alcohols is on the pouch/ intestines.  I w diabetic pre-surgery and had the surgery to "cure" my diabetes which it did.  Pre- surgery I often was able to eat sugar-free chocolates in moderation.  I've had a small piece of regular chocolate since surgery keeping it under my center's 6g of sugar per serving.  For many people sugar alcohols have the same impact as actual sugar in which case the Russell stovers are quite high (12-24g depending on the kind you choose) I can eat 1/2 half of a kinder bueno stick, which is 5 g of sugar without any trouble but the bar which comes with 2 separate wrapped sticks lasts me 2-3 weeks.  I think 1 stick of a Kit Kat also has about 5-6g of sugar but I haven't tried it yet.

Of course I only do this after all the protein, vits, and water are in and I still have room which is rare.  

LilyBugsMommy
on 8/2/14 3:19 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I know some people say eating the fake sugars (or any sugar) is bad for you because it keeps the body wanting more & more sweets. I guess it would be an individual choice. If you think you can have them occasionally & not get on a slippery sugar slope, go for it. I know for myself, my body does not like any sugar alcohols. The tiniest bit makes me very sick, so I can't have them at all. So, when I want something, I just have one bite of something real, no fake sugars for me. Some people say we should never have sweets again, but that is a long time.....or, if sugar substitutes/alcohols don't bother you, then maybe that is the way to go. 

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/2/14 7:48 am - Windsor, Canada

Sure it's up to you.  Some do real sugar because of the laxative affect.  Some do diabetic chocolate because they dump.  It's all a matter of what works for you.  I don't encourage people to get into the habit of sweets too early because it can be a trigger for some but at 3.5 years out, you know your body well and how it reacts, your limitations and you've kept the sugar monster at bay. 

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Zizzler
on 8/2/14 10:07 am

3.5 months not years

Patm
on 8/2/14 10:41 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I have them the odd time. I would wait until you wsre further out but up to you. Also be careful. Too much can cause a bad reaction

Karen M.
on 8/3/14 12:49 am - Mississauga, Canada

I've had those post-op a couple of times. After surgery I just found everything too sweet overall so didn't really enjoy them. But I can tell you that having one, despite its sickly sweetness, made me want another. lol I enjoy a small piece of very dark chocolate if offered - I don't buy them myself as I'm not all that sure I wouldn't over-indulge.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active