Medical alert bracelet

cutekatie
on 8/6/14 12:41 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I had my surgery in Ottawa in 2012. My card only had the type of surgery, name of surgeon, and a diagram of my new stomach. I'm glad to hear they are giving more detailed information.

I don't have a medical bracelet and don't feel the need to get one. The only reason I would get one is if I had complications. A friend of mine had a twisted bowel so got a medical alert bracelet after that surgery because she has scarring etc.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

Diminishing Dawn
on 8/3/14 3:06 am - Windsor, Canada

I got one and wrote what I was told to write on it.  

Big mistake.  I don't wear mine anymore because it can do more harm than good.

Here's my two cents:  http://diminishingdawnreturns.blogspot.ca/2012/06/medic-alert-bracelets.html

If you are going to get one put very basic info on it.  

17+ years post op RNY. first year blog here or My LongTimer blog. Tummy Tuck Dr. Matic 2014 -Ohip funded panni Windsor WLS support group.message me anytime!
HW:290 LW:139 RW: 167 CW: 139

Sandie E.
on 8/3/14 3:36 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

This made very valid points! Thank You! 

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

56sunShine14
on 8/6/14 12:58 am

I gotta tell ya, I have a friend who is a long time paramedic and she said the bracelets won't really do much when it comes to trying to keep you alive.  And how do you know if the paramedics know what RNY, VSG, LB, ETC. means?  The truth is, when they are trying to keep you alive, any damage that might be done to your pouch are secondary to saving you.  Keep it simple.

All posts that I make on this site, any forum, are a result in my having experience and caring for anyone having to go through life as an obese person. If you have medical issues, please see your doctor for medical advice.

Karen

White Dove
on 8/6/14 1:21 am - Warren, OH

The people who sell the bracelets will scare you with the risk of blindly inserting a feeding tube.  If you are in an accident, they are going to stabilize you and get you to a hospital. 

Getting food in is not going to be an on-site emergency.

If I am having a heart attack I want aspirin. 

I think the bracelets are silly and I spent a lot of money on them when I was newly post-op and easily frightened.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Most Active