Opti and Ketosis

Blueiiis
on 7/31/14 11:46 am - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Well day 11 is drawing to a close.... And it's a downhill slide to the finish line! I don't know of I am in ketosis or not though.... I had a horrible taste in my mouth for a couple do days but that seems to have gone away and I hope that I am still in ketosis? 

On another note I entered my food and activity into My Fitness Pal, and I have taken in only 477 calories.  This seems like a terribly low amount. Opti shakes and water, but have been really physically active - I walk for 30 minutes at lunch, walked to the bus as I have to take the train this week (10 minutes) and unpacking/moving furniture for 3 hours. It has been non stop for the past week!

is this ok, or do you think I should call my centre? I have felt light headed a couple of times this evening, and my arms and legs felt weak last night after collapsing into bed at midnight. Been keeping up my water intake, and had some sf jello earlier. All I can think about is eating meat lol.

NewMe2.0
on 7/31/14 2:06 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

The optifast diet alone should provide you with 900 calories (225 each x 4 day).  You are at half of that.  The Centers stress the importance of drinking the 4 shakes a day as it provides you with the required nutrients etc that you need .  I know its hard to get all 4 in, especially by day 11.  But 477 calories is way too little.  No wonder you are feeling the way you do, especially after all the activity you have been doing.

At minimum try and get in  3 shakes..but 4 would be better.

If you are worried about the scale moving (and being in ketosis), that is not what the optifast is for-it's to shrink your liver.  The weightloss that can accompany that is an added bonus.

Good luck with the rest of your journey.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Blueiiis
on 7/31/14 10:08 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

I do have the 4 shakes plus a broth and a jello, lots of water.  When I entered it all into MFP, it deducts the energy expended while exercising, which brings me down to that number.... I think I will give them a quick call this morning just to make sure.  I do have a lot of energy but I find I am lacking concentration (which isn't the greatest at my detail oriented job lol).

Soon_to_Shrink
on 8/1/14 1:03 am

If you feel okay I would not worry about it too much.  The 4 shakes are critical to getting to protein you'll need for recovery and it seems you are getting them in.  I was running a 1500-2500 calorie deficit every day I was on Opti.  I' very active and burn generally over 3000 calories a day.  Lost 21 pounds in my 3 weeks on Opti.  You are probably running a deficit too as you burn calories all day -sitting, standing, walking around the house etc.  The lack of focus can be from carb/ sugar withdrawl depending on what you were eating pre-Opti.

NewMe2.0
on 8/1/14 1:26 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Okay....I was a little worried when I read your initial post.

I found after surgery, for the first month or so, that I had trouble concentrating....wasn't able to read any in depth books and was only able to watch mindless tv...

Anyway, good luck with the rest of opti...

When is your surgery?

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Most Active