Day 5 of opti - gurgling stomach

Zizzler
on 7/29/14 11:36 am

Our centre only mentioned Metamucil caplets and milk of magnesia.  The magnesia is for constipation if that happens.  If it continues I may call my centre to see if gas x is ok. 

Karen M.
on 7/29/14 11:38 am - Mississauga, Canada

Yeah, sorry not sure. Hopefully it'll work itself out and tomorrow will be a better (quieter) day. :)

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 7/29/14 1:32 pm

Me too :0)

Blueiiis
on 7/29/14 12:12 pm - Mississauga, Canada
RNY on 08/11/14

Hey! My tummy is doing a lot of talking as well... Weird noises and can be embarrassingly loud. I work in an office that is so quiet you can hear a fly fart... So when my tummy starts going I pretend to cough... Ah well. I don't think there is much to do about it though.

hang in there! 

Zizzler
on 7/29/14 1:30 pm

I am wondering if it could be from the sf freezies and sf jello, maybe too much artificial sweeteners?  I hope is shuts up soon it is really loud.

NewMe2.0
on 7/29/14 12:56 pm - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

Do you think it could be from the Metamucil that is causing all the rumblings?  I was on opti for 3 weeks and was lucky enough that I didn't suffer from any of the side effects, and didn't need to take Metamucil or anything.  Maybe try not taking the Metamucil and see if that helps.  My centre, like yours, didn't allow for any extras.  I drank lots of water and would save a shake and make it into a pudding and eat it at night as a snack.  You should find in the next couple of days that it gets easier...its the first week that is the killer. 

Good luck with everything.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

Zizzler
on 7/29/14 1:34 pm

It may be the Metamucil but my centre tells us to take it as a preventative against runs or trots.  I like you idea of the pudding - how much water do you add to get that consistency?  does it need ice? 

NewMe2.0
on 7/30/14 12:13 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 05/20/14

You can add ice and blend it, or just less water and blend, until it is thick.  It wont be as thick as a real pudding, but should be thick enough to eat with a spoon.

• Referral:  Feb 2013/ Guelph  
  • RNY May 20th 2014 (Dr. Bhojani)                                                                         
  • 2nd RNY (revision due to marginal ulcers) Aug. 10th 2015 ( Dr. Bhojani)  
  • Revision to VSG (marginal ulcers): March 22nd 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)
  • Total Gastrectomy:  Dec. 15th 2016 (Hamilton, Dr. Hong)

birdiegirl
on 7/29/14 7:28 pm

I think you might have hit the answer to your issue with the sugar free products......sugar alcohols kill me....so I go very easy on S/F products

....but....if you are enjoying them and they are helping ease the opti phase.....then maybe just live with the gurgling....or ease up a bit on the jello and freezies

Zizzler
on 7/30/14 8:53 am

So I tried less sf stuff and it seems to have helped.  I get really sick on sugar alcohols too so I try to avoid them whenever possible -  maltitol and sorbitol are the worst for me.

Most Active