Struggling Post Op

GiGisGirl
on 7/26/14 9:10 am

Any advice on protein options?  The shakes (both pre made & powder are making me feel sick.  I had my surgery on July 21st, I have no energy & I'm just plain frustrated :(  Does anyone have any advice?  

Caroline K.
on 7/26/14 9:57 am

Can you try hiding unflavoured protein powder in other foods with strong flavours? I read of one person who measures out a scoop and puts a pinch in everything. What stage are you at? Can you eat Greek yogurt or cottage cheese? Puréed beans?

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

GiGisGirl
on 7/26/14 10:02 am

I am in stage two, so no pureed beans as yet.  So far the only thing that I can handle are cream of wheat, ricotta cheese, jello & pudding.... great advice though I will start to add it to those things.  I am being hard on myself.  I did not expect to be so utterly disgusted by the protein shakes & powder.

NorthernStar
on 7/26/14 10:29 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

This is totally normal. I was also very nauseous post op and my surgeon told me to stick to clear fluids as necessary. I didn't start full fluids until 7-8 days post op.

You may need to experiment to find shakes that you like. The only ones I could tolerate were Premier. Have you tried these yet? If not, give them a go. If you have and they make you sick, give it another day or two. Your full time job is eating and drinking right now. You didn't mention Greek yogurt - please give this a try too, it is a great protein source although won't give you as much protein as a shake.

As far as being tired, also totally normal. Rest as needed and be kind to yourself. You have just gone through major surgery and it will take time to recover.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

GiGisGirl
on 7/27/14 12:17 pm

Thank you for the words of comfort, it may be a struggle but I am going to get thru this.  I appreciate all the advice.

Zavz
on 7/26/14 11:29 am - Canada

I put skim milk powder in cottage cheese and whatnot to give it extra protein. Also mixed unflavored protein powder with crystal light 

4-Jane
on 7/27/14 3:37 am - Canada

I made home made broth by boiling chicken and vegetables, I then froze it in ice cube trays I drank two at a time, it was fluid I'm sure some protein as well.  I was tired because I was healing, which I think is normal, you can also purchase protein powdered that are fruit flavoured vs chocolate and vanilla.  I tried the strawberry kiwi fruit one you can order samples from iwin direct I think that's what it called.  Keep your fluids up and keep trying it will get easier really.

Respectfully Jane
GiGisGirl
on 7/27/14 12:15 pm

Thank you for the iwin option, I am willing to try anything.

J B
on 7/27/14 3:50 am

It may be the powder you're using. I found a mix called Whey Protein Isolate that worked much better for me than soy-based protein. (Ironically, I remember my mother saying that I'd had trouble as a baby tolerating soy-based baby formula.) If you can find whey-based protein powder, try that.

GiGisGirl
on 7/27/14 12:15 pm

I will keep trying, I am on my 5th brand.... what a journey!

Most Active