Question about eating ?? Anyone

Carbasics
on 7/26/14 4:43 am - Etobicoke, Canada

Well just to let you know on my progress when I started opti I weighted 245pounds I'm a month out and down 32 pounds. I'm pretty happy, but I barely get hungry I drink more water then anything but to get more protein in, I was wondering if I can eat premier protein bars now? Wondering what everyone is eating to get a lot of protein in.

Referral sent- January 31/14 Referral received- February 14/14 Information Session TWH- April 2/14 Social Worker- April 7/14 Nurse PractitionerApril 7/14 Psychometry- April 22/14 Nutrition ClassMay 6/14 Nutrition Assessment- May 16/14 Meet Surgeon - June 5/14 Surgery Date - June 23/14

Karen M.
on 7/26/14 5:08 am - Mississauga, Canada

Very glad to hear you're doing well! I still don't get "hungry" after over 8 years post-op. I eat on a pretty regular schedule to keep myself from getting "empty", which I've come to recognize as my new hungry. lol

I made a post about my thoughts on protein bars a couple of days ago that I want to share with you regarding protein bars:

I just wanted to give my $0.02 on protein bars. I am not a fan and they have never been part of my diet since surgery 8.5 years and 170 pounds ago. Sure, I've tried a couple, but the nutritional values on them just don't compare to a good quality protein shake.

If you compare the stats on Premier Protein products (which I consider to be an excellent product), you'll see a huge difference in calories, carbohydrates, fats, sugars, just to name a few:

Premier chocolate shake: 160 calories, 30g protein, 3g fat, 5g carbs, 1g sugar Premier chocolate shake

Premier Chocolate Crunch bar: 280 calories, 30g protein, 6g fat, 26g carbs, 10g sugar Premier Chocolate Crunch bar

Yes, some of them are palatable or even quite yummy, but that's a LOT of calories and carbs for a "chocolate bar" (sorry, that's how my mind equates them - slippery slope for me). I could have a real chocolate bar (not that I would, just to make a point) for less calories and carbs than one of those Premier protein bars.

Just sayin'. Food for thought, so to speak.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/26/14 6:12 am

I'm not yet on solids so I haven't considered bars yet.  Pre- surgery I was on diabetic meds and had found a very few bars that were reasonable e.g. Lower carb, lower calorie with lots of protein.  I'm finding I can get my protein needs without bars.  I'm taking in on average 100-120 grams a day.  I really like the baked ricotta recipe someone posted, I've also had minced tuna, ham, and salmon salads to date which also work well for me.  I made some high protein ( 2 scoops of unflavoured power added to the recipe on the box) sf, ff, pudding which I store in the fridge in small containers which I can grab and go if needed.  Each serving has 17.5 g of protein.  You might want to think about adapting a no-bake bar recipe and adding protein for your own home made version so you can control the carbs and sugar.

Karen M.
on 7/26/14 7:11 am - Mississauga, Canada

And THAT my friend is some freakin' excellent advice right there.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Carbasics
on 7/26/14 10:10 am - Etobicoke, Canada

Thanks for the wonderful advice and tips I really appreciate it 😀

Referral sent- January 31/14 Referral received- February 14/14 Information Session TWH- April 2/14 Social Worker- April 7/14 Nurse PractitionerApril 7/14 Psychometry- April 22/14 Nutrition ClassMay 6/14 Nutrition Assessment- May 16/14 Meet Surgeon - June 5/14 Surgery Date - June 23/14

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/28/14 12:09 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I basically don't like any protein shakes so started on protein bars at 4 weeks post-op. I use the Premier bars from Costco. I only eat half of a bar when I have any of it & I don't have one everyday. I usually only consume the half bar once per day, maybe a couple of times per week. I get my protein from food mainly & only use bars for days I can't get enough in through food.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Linsie
on 7/28/14 9:57 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

I've never considered protein bars and do have some protein powder...but it's not very tasty even when I mix it with yogurt. I'm finding it extremely hard to get much protein in daily to be honest. My surgery date was May 22nd, so I'm just over two months out - no red meat for 6 months (rule from my clinic), and i'm sticking to basically turkey and chicken which can get pretty repeditive when that's all you eat for lunch and dinner. I measure out my meat but guess it would help me to find out how much protein was in a 1.5oz of chicken or turkey lol

Most Active