Really

Robyn R.
on 7/25/14 12:03 pm - Bowmanville, Canada

So I had my 6 month appointment at HRRH on Thursday and I can honestly say, I left not feeling too impressed with them.  I have been having gallbladder issues since 3 months out.  Had an OR date for next week which has been bumped until the end of September.  Granted, I will say again that I am grateful that I am not the one needing the urgent OR time, but also feeling a little slighted as individuals who saw him after me are getting surgeries before me (not bariatric).  I'm in agony with pain daily and major attacks at least 2x week.  I addressed this issue with the RN as I thought maybe she could advocate for me the way I advocate for my patients.  WRONG!  I got the "I'll talk with him the next time I see him in August"  I know for a fact my incredibly talented surgeon is going on vacation for the first 2 weeks in August.  So as we talk ever so briefly about how I am feeling right now and right now its not the greatest due to the constant pain & nausea, I get "You should not feel like that and I'll see you next time"  In my head I am saying "I sure as heck hope that you are paging my surgeon".  It gets better, so then I go see the dietitian who says her script, "Eat more carbs".  I allow her to explain her reasoning, knowing that I do eat carbs, just not what she wants or the amount she wants.  She then asks about my physical health, I tell her about my screaming gallbladder that needs to be expropriated, how I have been bumped, blah, blah, blah and her response was to Go upstairs and talk with Dr Glazer and tell him I sent you as you need a something for your pain.  I can see it now, "Yo, Dr Skinny Jeans, how are ya?  Great, my gallbladder is causing me great discomfort, my OR has been bumped and I need some drugs for relief."  I'm not an idiot, that will go over like a ton of bricks.  I have a greater chance of asking a doc I work with for a favour and getting a script.  This is of course after she told me I was dumping not having a gallbladder attack.  I'm like nope not dumping, this is what i ate, no trigger foods and you think after working in ER/ICU for 15+ years, I might be able to recognize a gallbladder attack.  So after my blood work and my trek back home, I decide to call my surgeon's office, perfectly timed with an attack so I am crying on my message and basically state, "I can't wait until the end of september, I need to chat with someone please call me, i need an earlier date"  Today they call back and say, go to HRRH ER when you are having one and it will be done then.  My attacks are averaging 90 minutes, by the time I get to HRRH, it would be over and they would be looking at me like why are you here.  So I am supposed to call my surgeon back on Monday at 10 and they will let me chat with him then and hopefully he will move it up.  I am truly scared as things can go really wrong with an inflamed gallbladder and I'm feeling like a sitting duck during hunting season.

Sorry just needed to vent right now as I am feeling very lost in the system that I take so much pride to work in.

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

HW 290  Opti Start Weight 280.9  Surgery Weight 264.8 CW 207

Karen M.
on 7/25/14 12:17 pm - Mississauga, Canada

Vent away, what you are suffering through absolutely sucks. I had no idea you were having attacks so often. Other than talking to the surgeon on Monday, I guess I would take their advice and go to the ER at HRRH with an attack and be prepared to camp out til they see you. And DO something for you. Sheesh.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Robyn R.
on 7/26/14 10:59 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Thanks Karen!  I'm really worried that something will go wrong when he is on vacay & I'll get put aside until his return. Here's hoping he adds me to his August list

Referral Summer 2012, Orientation June 10/13 HRRH, Dr Hagen July 3/13, Dr Glazer, RN/RD/SW September 19/13, Dr Hagen October 10/13, Surgery January 21/14

http://images.obesityhelp.com/uploads/profile/370613/tickers/robynrne2b9ddd6b097c6ab0185ec57651b7f22.png?1392080601

LynTO
on 7/25/14 9:00 pm - Canada

It's not such a bad idea, going to the ER...

Back in 2008 I had GB attacks on average of  1-2 a month from July - Dec '08 and was scheduled for an "elective" cholecystectomy in Feb '09.  I went to the hospital every time I had one because no amount of pain pills (morphine, Percocet, etc) worked, I needed IV meds.  Well...on Dec 7, 2008 when I passed out in the ER I guess they decided enough was enough and I had an emergency surgery at 2 in the morning.

It really is silly that medical professionals don't take gallbladder attacks more seriously.  GB pain has been compared to labour pain, and even labour is said to be worse than a breaking your femur, as one anesthesiologist I work with says.

But in any event I really hope that your surgery happens sooner rather than later!

Feel better,

Lyn

Robyn R.
on 7/26/14 11:05 am - Bowmanville, Canada

Thanks Lyn!  I can agree with your anesthetist as I have given birth & broke my femur in the past & I can honestly say I would sooner experience either of those again before another gallbladder attack. I have a high pain tolerance but this is ridiculous

Wesley T.
on 7/26/14 11:48 am - Canada

This is so scary to read. I am pre-op and all I can say is... My god! 

Even if you entered the ER as the Gall Bladder attack is just simmering down, would it not be inflamed, sore in your side etc? I mean some times it is your benefit to 'get a bit creative' and continue saying you ARE in excruciating PAIN and that you cannot leave until you see a doctor as you probably won't be able to drive out of their Parking Lot safely. It is true the squeaky wheel does get the grease! 

This is your health care system, and your tax dollars make them work for you for once.

Pegasus_AM
on 7/27/14 12:59 am

I would say maybe at trip to the ER might not be such a bad idea either especially if you work there. Even if your pain subsides maybe an ultrasound will let them see just how bad your gallbladder is !!!! Your pain may be from you passing small gallstones. I feel your concern about something bad happening is valid. I have worked in the ER for 8 years myself and have seen only 2 gallbladders rupture but that 2 was enough !!! Not that I'm trying to scare you but just trying to say maybe a trip to the ER is not such a terrible idea. It may get you your surgery earlier or at least but your mind at ease. Good-Luck

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

RNY-Wife
on 7/27/14 1:10 pm

Really sorry you're getting the 'run around'. 

Fellow RN here ... Surgery. I've seen lots of gallbladder patients ... By the time they get admitted, they've been in several times and the labs/imaging are so bad they can't be sent home ... I hope this won't be the case for you. 

Hope your surgeon has better news for you tmrw. Hope you feel better. 

Most Active