Feeling icky.

TES
on 7/24/14 11:30 pm - Ottawa, Canada

Probably a TMI post ... but here goes.

Since about day 6 post op, I've been battling constipation (I'm now 18 days post-op).  When I had my first follow up appointment on the 16th, the Nurse Practitioner told me to use Milk of Magnesia, so I did, and it helped for a little while.

Not any longer ... it's been 4 days of bloat and discomfort and wanting to cry every time I go to the washroom.  I've got a call into the NP at the WLC but in the meantime, has anyone else had to deal with long-term (and I know a couple of weeks isn't really "long term" but it sure feels like forever) constipation?  If so, what is helping?  

I feel so miserable.  I don't even want to eat at this point and every bite is a fight.  

TES

Catw
on 7/24/14 11:42 pm - Arnprior, Canada

For right now, if the MOM isn't working, you can try the Ducolex suppositories, I found them very helpful to "unclog". It wasn't "fun" but it worked.  After that, some take stool softeners (senekot) or SF metemucil.  Drinking lots of water (as much as you can this early) and keep moving, it'll help.

Cathy

Patm
on 7/25/14 1:02 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

This has always been a problem for me. AS Cathy said use Ducolex. I also use the pills some times. As your diet expands you will be able to add a few prunes to help. I also make my own granola which is very heavy on bran.

Caroline K.
on 7/25/14 1:15 am

My surgeon actually told me to take a stool softener (Colace) twice daily. I found that only helped a bit, so I supplemented with Lax-A-Day every evening. I still have to take Dulcolax every few days to get things moving. 

I've just started a new course of treatment through a naturopath, who has recommended increasing my magnesium intake and adding more fiber. We'll see how that goes (so to speak ;) ...

Referred to Guelph, Dec. 3/12. Orientation: Mar 7/13. NUT/SW/RN Jun 18/13. Nutrition Class Jul 3/13. NUT/SW/RN Aug 19/13. Post-op Nutrition Class Dec 30/13. Approval for surgery from Dr. Jules Foute Nelong Feb 10/14. Surgery Apr 23/14.

Karen M.
on 7/25/14 2:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

Cry if you want to (I did, the 2x it happened to me) it SUCKS. Do whatever recommended to get. it. out.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

TES
on 7/25/14 2:48 am - Ottawa, Canada

Back from the Pharmacy with suppositories and Restoralax in hand. (At least one soon to be in bottom - sorry, couldn't resist).

Thank you all for the support and suggestions.

There's nothing quite like bonding over poop.

TES

Karen M.
on 7/25/14 4:58 am - Mississauga, Canada

Waiting for the hallelujah, angels sang post. LOL

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/25/14 10:57 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

Huge problem for many post-op, including me. I have been on Colace & Restoralax for months now & it keeps me pretty regular. I have the go ahead for both of these products from my centre.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

TES
on 7/26/14 12:33 am - Ottawa, Canada

Still no singing angels, Karen - just lots of growling demons.  LOL.

Still no luck.  And I'm feeling crappy - no pun intended.  Hopefully things will get moving soon!!!!

TES

Sandie E.
on 7/26/14 1:22 am - La Grande, OR
RNY on 05/14/14

Stool softener daily and miralax if nothing by the 3rd day

Highest - 281   1st appt - 274   Approval/pre-surgery - 259   Current - 136

Most Active