Ottawa Weight Management Program

emilehh
on 7/21/14 8:33 am

Hi,

I was recently refered by my doctor to this program. Yet, I wasn't really told much about it. I'm starting to get a bunch of mix emotions - excited (at taking control of my life and losing weight) but then nervous. I was wondering if people could share their experiences or any information in regards to this program.

I do need to admit, that I'm probably the odd man out, but I don't wish to have surgery of any kind. That is one thing that I am not ready to do yet.

Thank you.

Catw
on 7/21/14 9:55 am - Arnprior, Canada

I looked into it a long time ago.  You will be assessed to see which program you would be referred to.  Some do a 3 month shake program and some do a 6 month shake program.  If I remember correctly, you do the prescribed amount of shakes and then you gradually go to regular food.  There are classes you have to take and appointments and blood work through the program.  You`ll find more the first appointment.  You will need to pay for your shakes and some tests, but it used to be all in one or two payments at the beginning.  Other than that I don`t have much 

Cathy

cutekatie
on 7/21/14 10:33 am
RNY on 05/16/12

I went through the weight management clinic optifast program in 2002-2003, so bear in mind there have been some changes since then.

I did 12 weeks of optifast and then 12-24 weeks of food re introduction. I lost a lot of weight but the moment I went back to eating regular food I gained most of it back. I believe part of the problem was the fact that I had undiagnosed PCOS and Insulin Resistance.

I found the program to be great in terms of the information and help the dieticians gave me, along with the group and individual sessions. I did have to attend every week which did cause some stress in my busy schedule.

The reason they start with optifast is to get you to lose a large amount of weight in a short period of time. Other then that the program is similar to Weigh****chers, or any other reputable weight loss program.

One thing I would be asking prior to starting the program is to ask what the success rate is compared to surgery and other programs. Dr. Dent mentioned that when you diet alot your metabolism gets messed up and it becomes easier to gain weight back and harder to lose. I would be asking how the liquid diet would help when you end up having to go back to eating regular food afterwards.

HW 282 OW 273 SW 247 CW 232

(deactivated member)
on 7/21/14 10:26 pm - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Hi,

I went through the program in Ottawa.  I first met the doctor, then the info session where if you qualify you can get the RNY surgery, if not they have an Optifast shake program that requires being on a shake diet and 4 hr meetings a week. 

If you qualify for RNY you need to meet with the doctor, behaviourist, Nutritionist and depending on your health have various test done, cadio, stomach ultrasound, bloodtests etc.  Once all that is done you meet with the surgeon.

The process can take anywhere from 1 year to 2 yrs.

Hope this helps you.

Kelly

Carebear02
on 7/22/14 9:06 am - Vars, Canada
Carebear02
on 7/22/14 9:08 am - Vars, Canada

Hi, I am presently in the program for 12 weeks straight on shakes. It's now the start of week 7 and I am down 29 pounds. If you do not have a lot of weight to loose, they offer a 6 week shake pro gran, but the doctor decides that. I too did not want to have surgery. The cost of the shakes was about $1400 and they have many payment plans. After my referral, it took me almost a year to get in. You must attend 26 weeks of classes which are 3 hours in length. I am impressed with the program so far. The nutritionalist and behaviouralist are great. As with and diet, whether surgery or not, if you don't exercise and maintain healthy eating habbits, you will gain back the weight. Pm me if you have any other questions. Karen

Referral:  July 22, 2013, Confirmation:  TBD

Most Active