Hungry

pegawatt
on 7/22/14 12:47 pm - Canada

My cousin said She didn't feel hungry for a year. Every 4 hrs. I feel hungry and I eat till I start to not feel like eating. Am I eating enough as I do eat my protein first. And I have my protein shake in between just like I was instructed.

Catw
on 7/22/14 1:07 pm - Arnprior, Canada

I'm not sure how far out you are.  Are you still journaling?  Most people don't feel hunger for a while after surgery.  Are you truely hungry, or are you experiencing head hunger?  You mention about eating until you don't feel like eating, how much are you actually eating at a meal?  There is an amount of protein you are to be eating per day, you are eating your protien first but are you eating enough through the day.  Also, how much water are you taking in per day?  Pure water, not just protien shake.  Sometimes we feel hunger, but in reality we are thirsty and our body wants food to get more water.

Cathy

pegawatt
on 7/22/14 1:54 pm - Canada

I'm 1 week out and sipping water a lot. I'm eating about 1/2 cup to 3/4 of soup with 1 tbsp. of protein powder and following the sample menu ideas in my binder of info. And the 4 hrs. later ready for dinner.

Soon_to_Shrink
on 7/22/14 2:15 pm

I'm a. Week out and 1 tbsp of protein powder doesn't seem like much to me.  Are you checking your protein grams?  The Ottawa clinic expects your likely taking in 2-3 scoops of powder at this stage.  Most of the powders have scoops that are 3-5 tbsps in size.  The high test protein they sell has 37 grams of protein per scoop.  I measured and that scoop is 5 tbsp.  that could mean you need 15 plus tbsps of powder a day.

pegawatt
on 7/22/14 2:43 pm - Canada

I've been gradually adding more today so I'll keep with that at least that's easily resolved

Jiliana2
on 7/22/14 11:28 pm - Ottawa, Canada
VSG on 02/03/14

The other possible cause is acid in your new stomach. I hear a lot of people on these forums who feel "hunger" shortly after surgery only to find that they need some sort of acid reducer.

I was prescribed a pill (Lansoprazole) upon discharge from the hospital with the instructions to take it as needed. I took it for a few days, and then tried to go without. And only THEN did I feel true hunger... but it was really acid. I went back on the pills, and voilà, problem solved. No more hunger.

If you are not taking some sort of acid reducer, you might wish to speak to your centre about this.

OTTAWA -- 2011 - Contemplated WLS Feb. 15, 2013 - GP Feb. 20 - lung functioning Feb. 22 - blood work Feb. 27 - Referral April 19 - orientation, bloodwork July 10 - nurse July 23 - rheumatologist (VSG) Sept. 12 - Behaviourist & Dietician Oct. 23 - Echocardiogram Nov. 6 - Pre-surgery Class Nov. 12 - Surgeon Jan 13, 2014 - Optifast (3 wks) Jan. 27 - PATTS Feb. 3, 2014 - Surgery (VSG)
HEIGHT: 5'5" HW
303 Pre-Opti 297 SW 271 GW 170 CW 200 (Feb. 8, 2018 - damn the regain!) VSG with Dr. Yelle

pegawatt
on 7/23/14 2:37 am - Canada

I was prescribed Pantoprazole after surgery and Rabeprazole long before. Stopped taking the Rabeprazole  after surgery but after Jiliana2 reply to my post will go and resume taking it and see how that works out, Thanks   Jiliana2

Most Active