Yo-yo and back pain meds

needmylifeback
on 7/17/14 7:43 am

Greetings all

I am just over three months post op, and believe I am doing pretty well but have hit a bump and am looking for advice 

I have a major back injury and due to a flare up my family dr has strictly limited my activities for the time being. Since then my weight has been going up and down the same 3 lbs. I am currently aiming for 600 to 700 cal a day. I have tried to increase my protein but now I am wondering if I should lower my calories?

Also my dr has changed my medication to morphine and a tylonel 3 mix. For the past few days I have had an upset stomach almost like a burning. Should I ask to have Prevacid again or is this medication safe after ryn?

thank you

Ref sent March 27th. Orientation June 27th 2013. Nurse Consult Aug 19. Social-worker and nutrition class Sept 3  SLEEP study Sept 3rd  Doctor Consult Sept 27th...canceled, now Nov 11. Social worker (2ndappt) Oct24   Dietitian Oct 24  Physio appt Dec 13  and final windsorappt post op class Dec 19 Surgery April 8th

Karen M.
on 7/17/14 8:02 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi,

So sorry to hear about your back issues - it must be terribly painful. Tylenol 3 hurts my gut and makes me feel sick while not helping with pain. lol If you're concerned about your stomach there's certainly no harm in asking for Prevacid or something else to help.

With respect to your calories - you absolutely should NOT lower them. You're getting between 600-700 per day - that is very low. Going lower than that would be unhealthy. Try not to stress about your limited activity level at this point. You are malabsorbing and eating very low cal - you will continue to lose.

Hope you feel better really soon,

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/17/14 8:25 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

When I had my 3 month follow-up at my clinic I was told to aim for 900 calories a day when not exercising & up to 1200 calories on days I do exercise. I have basically followed that rule since then & am down 114lbs at 16 months post-op. I personally don't believe you are consuming enough calories at this point, but that is just my opinion. 

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Catw
on 7/17/14 11:44 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Sorry to hear about your back, and I hate to tell you but it could be because of your weight loss.  Your back has gotten used to your heavy weight and now that you are losing it's shifting a bit becuse it doesn't need to compensate for the extra weight any more.  The good news is that this will settle down ( and yes, before you hit goal).  I went through that as well, but didn't need the morphine.  I haven't had problems with meds and I have taken morphine on occasion.  My presription didn't say about taking it with or without food.  If you've been taking it without food, perhaps next time you're ready for a dose, have something to eat first.  That might help with the tummy troubles.  If your prescriptions say eat on an empty tummy, talk to your doctor and see if they can give you something.

Not sure if you've tried a chiropractor or massage therapist, but they may help as well.

Cathy

Most Active