Newbie...any advice or encouragement welcome

muddslidde
on 7/16/14 5:30 am - Canada

Ive been obese most of my life.  Im sure my story is like many.   I always told myself...this time next year i'll be thinner....the years are ticking by.

I'm 38 years old and married with two kids under the age of 7.  I had no intention of being the "fat mom" yet here i stand.

I've always pushed myself to participate and not be a wall flower no matter what size i am.  That is now getting harder as my size is preventing me...not my spirit.

I have to make a change and have decided on surgery.  I havent decided which surgery yet but i'll be doing research and reading lots of posts to help me decide.

I guess my question is this...does anyone regret their decision???

Karen M.
on 7/16/14 7:19 am - Mississauga, Canada

A very warm welcome to you! So glad you found us. You'll find tons of information, guidance and support here - I know I have. Read lots, ask questions, and jump right in - we're happy you're here.

Regrets? After over 8 years, I can honestly say NO. Not. Even. One.

Karen

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

providence
on 7/16/14 7:24 am
RNY on 03/20/14

I am only 4 months post-op, however I can say I would do it again in a heartbeat. It took 16 months from referral to surgery day, worth every minute. I am living again. I feel really good. I have great days and not so great days, but well worth it. It is definitely not easy, surgery is not the magic fix but it is very helpful when you work with it by eating sensibly and exercising (easier said than done some days). By joining this forum you have made that step to reach out for support. I am finding you really need a support system in place, it makes a huge difference. Wishing you the very best of luck in your journey. Lisa

Pegasus_AM
on 7/16/14 8:54 am

Welcome !! I'm new too I just made the decision in May, to go forward with WLS. I had my family physician send in the referral form to the Registry and I'm now waiting for an orientation session date. It's a slow process so I advise you to have your physician send the referral now even if your not 100% sure because it does take time for this process to begin. You can do your research while your waiting and you can always change your mind if you choose but at least you'll be starting. I did all my research first over the last year and a half, now I've made my decision and I'm chomping at the bit for the process to move forward. I thought I had decided which surgery i wanted to go through with but now I'm not so sure and plan to wait till I can discuss it with the surgeon before I make my final decision, if I even have a choice. My girlfriend had WLS and she was not given a choice they told her that her only option was Gastric Bypass Surgery.

Referral May 14th/14, HRRH Orientation Aug/18th/14, Surgeon (Dr.Starr) Appt Nov/28th/14, Clinic Nurse,Social Worker, Dietitian Dec/15th/14, Dr.Glazer Feb/5th/15, OptiFast Feb/16th/15, PATTS Feb/17th/15, Surgery March 2nd/15 HW 230, SW 202, CW 130

Patm
on 7/16/14 9:19 am - Ontario, Canada
RNY on 01/20/12

I am a lot older than you. I wish I had done this at your age. I have already done irreparable damage to my joints. I love my rny and would do it over in a heart beat

mum2TNT
on 7/16/14 11:51 am - Oshawa, Canada

Hi Mud!  Welcome to you from another newbie.  I have been asking for WLS for about 2 years, however my doctor kept saying she did not want to refer me......she felt I could do this on my own.  I am now 20 lbs heavier than I was this time last year grrrrrr  and she finally agreed and sent in the referral the end of May.  I agree with getting your doc to send in the referral now and then continue to investigate and educate yourself on WLS and the different types.  This site is AMAZING!! I have been on it a month or two and feel like I have learned so much already, and love reading about the successes of all the members as well as any tough times they may have gone through.  Welcome aboard!!!

Chrissy  ~~~  doctor referral May 29/14; info session Aug 18/14surgeon appt Dr. Starr  Oct 15/14dietitian, social worker & nurse Dec 11/142nd appts dietitian, SW & nurse Jan 19/15;  Dr. Glazer Feb 25/15; 2 weeks OPTIFAST April 15/15; surgery date April 29/15    AGE: 48   HEIGHT: 5'6"  

Catw
on 7/16/14 11:08 pm - Arnprior, Canada

Hi Muddslidde,

You sound just like me.  I'm now 3 years out, my boys are 9 and 6.  It took me a year and a half to go through the process to get to surgery.  My journey hasn't been the easiest, the surgery was no problem, I've just had other things to deal with.  Despite this, I have absolutely no regrets.  I should have done it 10 years ago.  Before surgery, I felt like a blob, but tried to be involved with my kids as much as possible.  Since surgery, I've had so many wonderful NSVs (Non Scale Victories) that I've lost count.  The biggest for me was that in just over 3 months, I was able to go skating with my kids, and outlast them without sore feet. (Both boys play hockey).  Because of my weight loss, I have been able to do so much more than I ever imagined with my kids.  You'll find that too.

You have found a great site, there is lots of support and information on here.  And lots of new friends to meet.

Good luck on your journey.

Cathy

muddslidde
on 7/16/14 11:34 pm - Canada

I thank you all for the warm welcome!!!  

I love the term Non Scale Victories!  

That is exactly what's Im looking for.  It dosent bother me that i wear a size 26 pant/4X top, what does bother me is that i cant get on a ride with my daughter at Canada's Wonderland!

Catw
on 7/17/14 12:37 am - Arnprior, Canada

You will get there.  NSVs don't have to be big to be special.  They just have to mean something to you.  Right now your goal is to ride the rides at Canada's Wonderland.  But you'll have lots of other NSVs that you'll be excited about that you don't even think of now.  It will be an exciting time for you!

Cathy

NorthernStar
on 7/17/14 3:12 am - London, Canada
RNY on 06/25/12

Welcome! Read lots, ask lots of questions, this is a great forum. Good luck with your new journey, it is a process but every step is worth it.

No regrets here. Not one, I never questioned my decision and I've never looked back. It's not easy, it's not a quick fix but it is hands down the best decision I have ever made in my life.

*Lindsey*

Keeping off 133 lbs since 2012!

Referral to Bariatric Registry: May 2011   /   Surgery (HRRH): June 25, 2012         

Most Active