TOTALLY OFF TOPIC - REGULAR EI AND MAT. LEAVE

nofries4you
on 7/6/14 3:21 am - Canada

I know I haven't been here much lately.  sorry for that.  I do remember there were some EI experts here or people that worked for EI... so hopefully will get some answers to my questions.

My daughter was working for a local family doctor in a small office...she was there for about 7 months.....he retired from his practice on April 30th, 2014....so my daughter was out of a job....However, she found out she was pregnant just before this at the end of February.  First pregnancy at 36 years old....  She went to Service Canada office shortly after and talked to them and asked some questions and was told she had 4 weeks to apply.   She wasn't sure what to do as she would be applying for Mat leave later in the year.....  She was told that she would get 52 weeks total, which would be regular EI and then Mat leave.... she is due around November 14.....52 weeks would take her to May and baby would only be 6 months old.   I told her she should apply anyway and her husband told her she should wait and try to find a job.  She has been looking but has been unsuccessful.  Even though she graduated from the Medical Admin program, she can only type 40 words a minute which is lower than what most places ask for.  She has had a couple interviews but didn't get the jobs and now she is showing quite a bit....not sure she will get hired for a job when it is clear she will be off again in months..

I am really worried that she is screwing herself by not applying right away...the longer she waits and has no money coming in and they calculate her rate, she won't get nearly as much as she would have....or will not be able to get it at all...   Am I wrong?  Will she have problems even getting paid for Mat Leave...

Sorry for rambling but would like some advice and then I will pass on to her....she doesn't like listening to mom.....and god forgive me but her husband can be a know it all....

Sue

Karen M.
on 7/6/14 4:04 am, edited 7/6/14 4:04 am - Mississauga, Canada

Well hello there, Nofries! Long time no see :)

I'm not an EI expert by any means, but I see no reason not to apply immediately. Securing a new job is not a given and with a little one on the way, any extra income is useful, no?

K.

Edited to add: She can always put the EI on hold while she starts a new job. Also, has she considered a temp service? At least she would have contract work and it wouldn't be an issue when she has to go off on mat leave.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

nofries4you
on 7/6/14 4:13 am - Canada

Thanks Karen.......Thanks for replying so quickly....  Nice to see you.

So you mean you think  she should apply now......since she didn't apply right away when she was unemployed? 

I told her she should apply to the temp agencies but other than manpower I don't think she has........  She should listen to her momma because we all know mom is always right....lol.  just kidding...   She applied at Timmies and even thought there is nothing wrong with working there...for her I don't think it would be good...she gets stressed fairly easily and it can be long hours on the feet.   I wouldn't worry as much if she was a bit younger and had lots more opportunities to get pregnant....

Sue

Karen M.
on 7/6/14 4:26 am - Mississauga, Canada

In my mind, any income is good. I don't know about the Timmie's thing, that's a lot of time on her feet BUT hey, it's worth a try if she thinks she can manage. 

I don't know how EI will respond since she didn't apply immediately, but there is no harm in going in and talking to on of their employment counselors for advice. 

Karen

nofries4you
on 7/6/14 4:29 am - Canada

Thanks Karen....I totally agree with all of what you said.....lol.    Hope you are keeping well.... I heard through the grapevine that you are married........but then you know what that grapevine can be like.lol

Sue

Karen M.
on 7/6/14 4:36 am, edited 7/6/14 5:24 am - Mississauga, Canada

Thankfully I am NOT married - ever see the movie, "So I Married an Axe Murderer"?

X 100 but no comedy.

Lucky to be healthy and alive, thanks :)

P.S. Mostly alive.

So you can share with your "grape vine" - I'm dating (not really, more like loving) my best friend (NO, not the female one, not that there's anything wrong with that). I'm in the right place at the right time doing the right things, and it's ... well it's awesome.

Karen

Hanneli xoxo
on 7/7/14 12:55 am - Sudbury, Canada
RNY on 10/30/12

hah I am doing the same thing.. "dating" my best friend (male) since October.. just enjoying life and having fun :) I think I like it that way.. (on most days LOL!!) Hi Karen :)

Karen M.
on 7/7/14 1:12 am - Mississauga, Canada

Hi Hanneli, great to see you!

Good for you. We found the transition from besties to an intimate relationship a little giggle-worthy awkward for a bit, but it really was just an easy, makes so much sense, comfortable thing to happen. I mean, who else except your best friend can you honestly say after finally becoming sexually intimate, "God, I'm glad we got THAT out of the way"? LOL I don't think I've ever been in such a comfortable, fun, understanding relationship before now - had no idea what I was missing! ;)

I hope everything is great with you!

Karen

Can_Lil_Saint
on 7/7/14 12:09 am, edited 7/7/14 12:12 am - Georgetown, Canada

Good Morning Karen,

I am a Payroll gal by day and a couch surfer by night and it is finally my turn to part with some knowledge on this site rather than being the sponge  

Her current ROE (Record of Employment) will most likely have "shortage of work" or something on it that makes her eligible for EI but she will need an ROE from her previous employer since she needs to have an accumulative number of hours worked depending on where you live.  For example Toronto has 630 hours where as Ottawa needs 665 hours.  

Once she has these she will need to start the process early since they look at any additional money that she might have received whi*****ludes any bonuses and outstanding vacation pay.  This is translated into paid hours as if she worked and delay the beginning if the EI money. For example she was paid until April 15th and her boss gave her an additional $600 (weeks worth of pay) since he felt bad about closing the location.  Service Canada will look at this and figure that her last day of work is now April 23rd.  Once this is done, she will have a 2 week waiting period where she won't get any money at all an then the EI will kick in. Now the calculation that do is based on what she earned while working and works out be about 65% of what she earned.  The most she can receive is ~$500 a week if she maxed out on her EI taxes this year.

So if she hasn't started a claim, she might be to late to do so.  But if is gets on it, they will back date it all and start the claim.

As for a Mat Claim, it the same thing, but just for a longer leave because of the baby.  Same guidelines apply including the waiting periods.   She can apply for the Mat benefits no earlier that 8 weeks before the baby is due and then EI maternity benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 15 weeks. She cannot receive EI maternity benefits beyond 17 weeks after the expected or actual week of childbirth, whichever of the two is later.

EI parental benefits can be paid for a maximum period of 35 weeks. The payments must be made within 52 weeks of the week the child was born.

Hopefully this helps or it might even confuse you even more LOL

Debbie

Most Active