How do I fight the nausea?

a_sweet_life
on 7/4/14 12:53 pm - Canada

Hello all! Had my surgery June 13th, I have to admit it's been a struggle for me so far - but this site prepared me well so I wasn't expecting a walk in the park! I was in hospital for 7 days because I was initially unable to swallow ANYTHING, I'm home now and doing my best to follow instructions. I am reaching out for some advice from those of you who have gone before me :) I've been having a great deal of difficulty getting all my 'foods' in as everything makes me nauseous - just thinking about foods that I should be eating makes my stomach turn. I made a freezer full of soups before surgery and they just won't go down, if I force them down, I'm sick. Same goes for the Boost and Protein drinks. I keep hearing the words 'sip and walk' and I do my best, but when it comes to food that will provide me protein, I'm struggling. If I do manage to get some pureed food down - it takes such a long time to digest. As you would suspect, my energy level is very low and I'm starting to get frustrated - any advice would be greatly appreciated?

new_me180
on 7/4/14 2:56 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 10/24/13

Sorry to hear that you're having a tough time. What if you can call the Dr's office and inform them of your difficulties and asks if they can give you some nausea meds. Also, if you're not drinking enough you could get dehydrated and that causes nausea as well so, it's a vicious circle. Good luck.

Karen M.
on 7/5/14 12:21 am - Mississauga, Canada

I'd suggest finding a good quality protein drink you can tolerate as a first step. I've tried hundreds and the best I've found, that I actually quite like, is the Premier protein shakes available at Costco.  Anything - drinks, pureed foods - will take a long time to digest at first.

Your title suggested that you're struggling with nausea as well. Gravol can help alleviate this and is totally acceptable to take.

K.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Most Active