awful news...

Linsie
on 7/3/14 9:36 pm - Kitchener, Canada
RNY on 05/22/14

That confuses me. I'm 6 weeks post op out of Guelph - From my very first orientation date to my surgery date, it was 13 months. I don't know what program is what. I did an orientation, then visited with the nurse, dietician and occupational therapist, then a few pre op and post op dietician class, and a few more appointments with the dietician/therapist. Eventually I saw Dr. Jules Foute Nelong, and within 6 weeks had my surgery date. I don't know why they say 2 years, maybe on the "safe" side...?

LilyBugsMommy
on 7/2/14 6:08 am - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 03/12/13

I feel bad for your situation....but, I do have one comment that I am not trying to mean in stating.

If you don't have the time to plan your week, follow the plan now, etc. then why would surgery work for you? You will still need to plan things like exercise, your vitamin schedule and your food plan. I get what you are saying about being a super busy Mom, but, most of us are. When you decide to have this surgery, you need to be able to make the time to follow the plan/rules of this surgery or it won't work for you.

I do wish you the best of luck.

Referral to Ottawa: Jan/11 Info Session: May/11 Nurse: Feb/12 Dietician/Behavourist/Abdominal Scan: Apr/12 Pre-op Education Class: Feb. 6/13 Meet Surgeon  Feb.15/13 Surgery with Dr. Raiche March 12/13!!

The race isn't given to the swift nor the strong, but it's given to the ones who endure it to the end...

Karen M.
on 7/2/14 6:15 am - Mississauga, Canada

You took the words right out of my mouth. Point taken, and agreed.

Karen

Ontario Recipes Forum - http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/ontario_recipes/

Zizzler
on 7/2/14 6:28 am

Oh no, that sounds completely unfair.  Could you contact your centre for clarification?  Maybe there is a misunderstanding?  It makes no sense to me.

(deactivated member)
on 7/2/14 7:41 am

I can understand why OHIP is doing this, look at it this way, you chose the non surgical route, the clinic, doctors, nurses, dietitians, tests ect all cost money. You unfortunately failed, now its time for others to have their turn. It is not the clinics fault it is the decision of the Government. You must be prepared mentally for any program. Even if you have WLS, its only a tool, only you can utilize how to use the tool. Its the same as the non surgical weight loss program, it was a tool.

RYMEBE73
on 7/2/14 11:38 pm - Guelph, Canada
RNY on 06/30/15

I need to point out that I did not CHOOSE the non-surgical route, I was offered it as I didn't qualify at the time for surgery, I fell just under the requirements.  It was a new program offered through the hospital and I gave it a try as I knew I needed help in finding a way to get the weight off.  Thank you for telling me that I'm pretty much a failure, that sure boosts a person's confidence up?  I admit I struggled with the switch in my diet, I really started to mess up when our weekly group sessions ended...having a support system really helps someone like me.  I AM NOT A FAILURE....

I did not mean to put the blame on the clinic, they have rules to follow, my stress is that why couldn't I still be referred, by the time I actually have the surgery, classes, see the nurses, dieticians, etc, it will be about 2 years since the program.  I totally understand that the surgery is a tool, but the non-surgical program isn't the same tool, doesn't shrink your stomach to the size of a walnut to make you feel less hungry...your stomach pretty much is the same size, you're just feeding it less, so yeah, I still felt hungry to the point of almost passing out if I didn't eat more...I slipped, tried to get back on, but as I realized the support wasn't there for me, fell back into my depression and now here I am again, trying to get healthy.  At my first referral when I finally met the nurse, she was the one who told me to try it on my own and if I find myself not being able to, to come back and try for the surgery...so that's what I'm doing, finding that I need the surgery to be a success at the WLS as I will hold myself accountable and will be able to control the hunger pains.  

Moving on doesn't mean you forget about things.  It just means you have to accept what happened and continue LIVING  

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 3:19 am, edited 7/3/14 3:40 am

First off I did not call you a failure, I said "unfortunately you failed at that program" DO NOT put words into my mouth, also if you accepted their offer for the non surgical method you chose to do it ...no one forced you do it you could have declined. If you Are upset dont put the blame one me. I never ever would call anyone a failure. If you have so many issues, maybe some counselling may be in order,.

I also want to add that you said "I need the surgery to be a success at the WLS as I will hold myself accountable and will be able to control the hunger pains. "  Why do you not hold yourself accountable now without the surgery. You are the only one who is accountable for anything you do. Also again the surgery is only a tool, you will still have hunger pains, you can still eat too much, you can regain... 30% of people are not successful ... this is not a fix all surgery, you have to work it, you have to exercise and be accountable to ensure you do all. 

(deactivated member)
on 7/3/14 5:46 am - Toronto, Canada

That's terrible news, but don't throw in the towel just yet. Call OHIP yourself maybe? Explain the cir****tances to them... and I would definitely call another center! You never know until you give it a try. You ARE NOT a failure. I am sure the success rates on non surgical versus surgical are drastically different, as in lower. Keep your chin up, I can only imagine you feel completely defeated right now, but keep trying. 

Most Active