Pre-surgery grocery trip

TES
on 6/30/14 2:00 am - Ottawa, Canada

One week to go until my surgery and I'm putting together a list of "must haves" for the first couple of weeks post-surgery.  Obviously, juices, yogurts, etc.

What did all you "on the bench" folks enjoy for those first couple of weeks at home?  Any and all suggestions welcome!

TES

Monica M.
on 6/30/14 2:32 am - Penetanguishene, Canada

you can take juices off the list, i only ever drank water or crystal light, sometimes milk.  I loved my cream of wheat.

Laurie C.
on 6/30/14 2:45 am - Collingwood, ON, Canada

oatmeal porridge, sugar free pudding, premier protein drinks--some of my favourite things still

Laurie

Surgery:  June 11, 2012--Dr. Starr--Humber

(deactivated member)
on 6/30/14 3:14 am - Canada
RNY on 04/16/14

Depends what your post op meal planner says - for me it was lactose free milk (I became lactose intolerant after surgery), sugar free Mr Freezes, protein and eggs.

Good luck!

Catw
on 6/30/14 3:28 am - Arnprior, Canada

Double check your clinic's info on what you can have the first week or two.  I remember enjoying cream soup.  NO juice.  SF water flavoring like Crystal Light/MIO.  Use the liquid, as you may not need as much post surgery as you would take now.  And it's easier to adjust the flavor level with liquid.

Don't forget your supplements if you haven't gotten them yet.

Cathy

Monica9811
on 6/30/14 5:39 am - Peterborough, Canada

Cottage cheese , Greek yogurt, sf pudding and protein shakes. 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 6/30/14 6:19 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Sugar free popsicles.  Scratch the juice.  You don't need the excess sugar, and orange juice is too acidic for your stomach.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

4-Jane
on 7/1/14 12:27 am, edited 7/1/14 12:28 am - Canada

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, skim milk, home made apple sause, and I drank 3 oz of tomatoe juice once a day.  I also bought cream soups but ended up not liking them. I froze puréed apple sause in ice cube trays home made and sugar free. As well as home made broth, and pured chicken and chilli the ice cubes tray trick worked wonders.  I bought tons of the sugar free drink mix things but sold them at a yard sale as again I did not like them.  I ensured I had all the products for constipation I had ever read about including the smooth move tea but again did not need it but boy I'm ready if I should experience any problems in that area.  I bought small baggies and storage containers as well as funkie small plates bowls and spoons all of which I do use.  My last week I cleaned and organized my house like I was nesting but I found it helpful and was glad for it after I got home from surgery.  Happy shopping.....

oh I also had a healthy supply of protein powders unflavoured as well as vanilla and chocolate .  The iwin site will ship you free samples which I used and ordered again but again I ended up not liking.  So have variety but wait to ensure you like it before you stock pile

Respectfully Jane
Kwelbru
on 7/1/14 6:49 am - Canada

You can drink low sodium Vegetable juice or tomato juice.   They both come in handy in the puréed/minced phase to sautée you meat in or extra moisture.

first 2 weeks I lived on cottage  cheese yogurt and oatmeal.   I also bought "No Sugar Added" strawberry jam and  blueberry Jam. (Smuckers and ED smith makes it)  I used it to add some taste to th fat free cottage cheese an pin yogurt.   

Also ED Smith "No Sugar Added" Syrup ... Right beside the pancake syrup.   Awesome with oatmeal and cream of wheat.  

good luck

SURGERY @ HRRH with Dr STARR on May 23/14 >>ORIENTATION WEIGHT 372lbs // OPTIFAST START WEIGHT 334lbs // SURGERY WEIGHT  319 lbs  // 3 MOS POST-OP 261lbs

TES
on 7/2/14 4:16 am - Ottawa, Canada

Thank you all for the replies!  I have a better idea of what will work - though I know a lot of it will be trial and error post-surgery.

5 more days!  Eek!

TES

Most Active